Anyone Growing Corot Noir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removing Blue Tubes Today, Mini-Harvest Discovered!

I am totally amazed at how these are doing in their first season. Especially when you consider the heat and the drought we are in.

So today, I started removing the tubes and found I couldn't do it without pruning everything off the tops of the tubes. I wound up cutting the tubes off, which I didn't want to do.

Upon doing this, I found a grape cluster (or two on some vines) on almost every one of the eight vines. And, they tasted darn good! The trunks are as thick as my second year Marquettes and in some cases, ever thicker.

Before I remove the rest of them, does anyone have a suggestion on my tube removal method?

P1030389.jpg
P1030389.jpg

P1030391.jpg

Cheers!
Bob

Looking very happy and darn healthy! Looks like you did the only thing you could do to get the tube off. The grow tubes were worth the $$$ invested and they did a fantastic job.

Looking very happy and darn healthy! Looks like you did the only thing you could do to get the tube off. The grow tubes were worth the $$$ invested and they did a fantastic job.

My thoughts exactly, Mike. Additionally, these tubes were used last year for the new Marquette vines, so they did get at least two uses out of them.

I realize new vines have to watered very frequently, but I wonder if dry/drought conditions spur the roots to develop more rootlets? I've watered these new guys a few times a month, but not as often as I'd like to.

That soil looks dry as a bone but the vines look fantastic. I think they did better than my vines did the 1st year and they were all on a drip getting water every day during the Summer. One thing that is different is that you have way more humidity/rain in the air than we do most of the time and the vines can use some of that. We have months during the Summer were the humidity is 5%. I have seen new plantings dry up like they were hit by a flamethrower after only 2 days without water around here so I didn't want to chance it so I made it easy and automated with a drip and a timer. I am however going to install smaller heads and/or do less watering next year as I think my vines have established themselves fairly well this Summer (3rd leaf).

No doubt the dry conditions made those roots go deep quick to look for moisture!

Looking good there Bob. I always said I prefer a dry year over a wet one. It may limit things a bit, but you don't drown out or get disease.

I just saw this posted over on FB by Double A regarding irrigation amounts for new vs established vines:

Double A Vineyards Inc.
September 14th, 2012

It’s been a dry Summer, but we don’t have to tell you that! Although we’ve done better than some states this growing season has been one requiring an immense amount of irrigation. A general rule of thumb is that mature vines with a full canopy need 1” of water per week. An acre-inch of water is about 25,000 gallons, so if you have 1,000 vines per acre, you might apply 25 gallons per vine, per week minus any rainfall.

Newly planted vines might require 5-6 gallons per week, second and third year vines about 10-12 per week.

Keep in mind this is only a general guideline. Weather, soil type, and water use by the cover crop all play a role! Either way, if you are not getting enough rain naturally then you do need to supplement the water.

Wow! 25 gallons per vine per week. The well would run dry! Or you'd rack up a huge water bill if on municipal water.

"Keep in mind this is only a general guideline. Weather, soil type, and water use by the cover crop all play a role! Either way, if you are not getting enough rain naturally then you do need to supplement the water."

Here's my water supplement that was put in two months ago:

P1030366.jpg

The dehydrated water supply isn't working! :)
Hopefully it will be filled with snow by next Spring and then the rains...

Very interesting you mentioned getting the tubes off. I let mine go too far and started tying the vines onto the wires before I thought of taking them off. Wound up untying them and snaking the vines back through the tubes.

Saddle,

I'm even more curious why you would have a first year vine tied to the wire (bottom?) when it will be pruned back well below the wire? Were you doing that just to keep them off the ground until pruning back? I finished removing the tubes today and had to cut the ones for the Corot, but was able to snake the Frontenac out though. Also found a nice cluster in one of the Frontenac tubes.

Most of mine grew all the way up 8 foot stakes and were starting to bend towards the ground. I tied them to the top wires and then remembered the tubes! Snaked them off though.

Planted 20 vines in '09 and picked first grapes in '12. Although vineyard is in NC, elevation is 3500 feet with winter low temp often below 0. Spraying for black rot and downey mildew is a must. Required vigorous cluster pruning as well as removal of shoots throughout season to keep 60 bunches per vine, and still yielded 90 bottles wine. At bottling, wine was reminiscent of a Docetta, but after six months aging with french oak, wine has a marked resemblance to pinot noir. I detect absolutely no indication that this is a hybrid grape, making it unique among all other red hybrids I have tasted.

HJB said:
Planted 20 vines in '09 and picked first grapes in '12. Although vineyard is in NC, elevation is 3500 feet with winter low temp often below 0. Spraying for black rot and downey mildew is a must. Required vigorous cluster pruning as well as removal of shoots throughout season to keep 60 bunches per vine, and still yielded 90 bottles wine. At bottling, wine was reminiscent of a Docetta, but after six months aging with french oak, wine has a marked resemblance to pinot noir. I detect absolutely no indication that this is a hybrid grape, making it unique among all other red hybrids I have tasted.

I've been interested in Corot Noir to blend with my Chambourcin, but the way you describe yours it sounds like it might be better as a varietal. Enjoy your reward! Cheers

Latest posts

Back