Cellar Craft anyone do MLF for kit wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkfe

Reaction score
contemplating doing MLF on my CC Zin. Is this a tweak that you more experienced guys do?

Apparently MLF on a kit wine results in a flabby wine (can't remember what that means). Definitely not recommended.

Steve

You should never perform MLF to a kit wine. The acids in the kit are balanced already (and possibly extra malic acid was added during manufacture) and should not need tweaking. It's not that it would not 'work' but more so that the results would probably not be an improvement if not potentially disastrous because the lactic acid produced is both less acidic and has a different flavor profile.

I second wanting to see a flappy wine!

As long as it is someone else's flappy wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Some will say not to do it with juice buckets either since they are balanced, but mlf can provide more to a wine than just reducing malic acid. If you check the wine for some malic acid content, there is really no reason not to consider doing a malo on it to get some of the other benefits to mouthfeel, taste, etc.

Latest posts

Back