Anyone backsweeten with powdered dextrose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dextrose is a, simple, fermentable sugar. You may want to look at some complex sugars like Lactose or even Splenda for that matter if you're looking at just sweeting without kick starting your fermentation process again unless you can kill the yeast before back sweetening. Filter it a few times or even add campden tablets.

Last edited:

• I'm assuming that being as this is posted in wine making section you are making wine. I have used dextrose and it worked fine. Follow normal procedures to backsweetin

I have blackberry cabernet recipe that calls for that instead of sugar. Only calls for 2 1/5 pounds. Since it takes so little, I thought it may be good for backsweetening.

I have blackberry cabernet recipe that calls for that instead of sugar. Only calls for 2 1/5 pounds. Since it takes so little, I thought it may be good for backsweetening.

what is the SG gonna be sitting at with that amount? or is that for the backsweetening

I backsweetin to a per determined SG. Usually based on bench testing to desired sweetness. I never just add a set amount of any kind of sugar. You cvan, but you are gambling

Many kits, specifically port style kits, add a dextrose pack for the step-feeding.
Regarding the post about using Splenda, you will still need to stabilize with k-meta and sorbate or you will eventually start to referment. Not immediately, but over time since Splenda is actually made from sugar. Personally had it happen when I did a trial with it.

Back