Quantcast

Any thoughts on a One Step Cleaner

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Well spring has returned to the northland, we had a few really nice days, even a couple in the seventies so I was busy finding treasures in the yard after the snow left. It was like Christmas! Found tools I hadn't seen in 8 months, etc.!!:h
Troy

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
Well spring has returned to the northland, we had a few really nice days, even a couple in the seventies so I was busy finding treasures in the yard after the snow left. It was like Christmas! Found tools I hadn't seen in 8 months, etc.!!:h
Troy
I usually find my missing tools with the mower right after I put a new blade on it.:m

Last edited:

albertrichard

Junior
Reaction score
You are correct.It's not a sanitizer. K-meta, NA-meta, Star San, and Iodophor are infact bankable sanitizers.

lovethepirk

Reaction score
I think I would like to use Star San, but can you get this at Wallmart or will I be calling the local brewing companies?

Thanks,

LTP

smurfe

Reaction score
I think I would like to use Star San, but can you get this at Wallmart or will I be calling the local brewing companies?

Thanks,

LTP
You will have to go to a homebrew shop local or online to get Star San. If you could find it at Wal Mart, I might step foot in the place.

lovethepirk

Reaction score
Thanks...Just called the local shop has it. Being new to creating my own wine I do not understand how you can spray liquid into a bucket or glass carboy and it not taint the flavor a bit. I read several posts saying it does not though so I believe it.

Thanks,

LTP

mauijoe

Reaction score
Gee, I feel so pre-historic that I am still trying to use up my "B-Brite" that I have had success in the past. (This stuff is a cleanser and in no way a final sanitizer.) It requires cold water rinsing and I might add ...very thourouhly at that.
I think that it really matters also how well you do things to make it good. Not that 100%...but 150% is more like it...and even a bit more wouldn't hurt!
joe

rogers

Wine Junkie
Reaction score
Ok I have a question. I'm useing One-Step now but have a bucket of Oxiclean. If I use the Oxiclean as a cleaner when I run out of One-Step do I mix it the same way that I did the One-Step? I use the Oxiclean to remove labels now and it does a great job, but if I can use it as my cleaner I will.

mauijoe

Reaction score
Ok I have a question. I'm useing One-Step now but have a bucket of Oxiclean. If I use the Oxiclean as a cleaner when I run out of One-Step do I mix it the same way that I did the One-Step? I use the Oxiclean to remove labels now and it does a great job, but if I can use it as my cleaner I will.
Well for me Rogers, I have used Oxi-clean for cleaning "major" dirty bottles, equipment, even other items that they claim work. However, you gotta follow the manufactures directions as far as mixing, usuage, and more importantly, cleanup/rinsing. For my peace of mind, "if it ain't squeaky clean, it ain't clean...and that would go for rinsing as well.

I would not use it to replace "One-Step" or what I presently use "B-Brite." I feel a lot safer using the products that everyone else gets great results in. Hope this helps some.:hh

rogers

Wine Junkie
Reaction score
Thanks Mauijoe,I'll stick with One-Sep as a cleaner and the Oxiclean on the bottels and labels. And yea we had a great Halloween but a little to much of this.:dg

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Mauijoe,I'll stick with One-Sep as a cleaner and the Oxiclean on the bottels and labels. And yea we had a great Halloween but a little to much of this.:dg
Halloween is a drinking holiday?

well why didn't you say so?

:ib

non-grapenut

Fruit Fears Me
Reaction score
Drinking star san on purpose

Yep, if its not clean, its never gonna be sanitary.
and being a beer maker, that thick krausen ring left in my bucket HAS to be cleaned early, or its a royal pain to get out.

i do use oxy-clean Free (no bleach or perfumes) to clean organics, and then star-san right before use.

I've also drank diluted star san on purpose, to know the flavor and to see if that was detectable in my beers. well it hardly has a flavor, and i definitely didn't taste it in my beer.
you shouldn't drink one-step, and iodiphor can stain stuff, so star-san is my go-to sanitizer.
it was designed for commercial breweries after all. I even listened to the entire Brewcast with the maker of Star-san..very informative!
Now THAT'S dedication, Malkore! I love your hands-on scientific approach! :try

Reaction score
Halloween is a drinking holiday?

well why didn't you say so?

:ib
isn't every holdiday a drinking holiday? lol

that's why it's called a holiday! lol:dg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday

-Official or unofficial observances of religious, national, or cultural significance, often accompanied by celebrations or festivities
-A general leave of absence from a regular occupation for rest or recreation
-A specific trip or journey for the purposes of recreation or tourism