Any good tips on cleaning a racking cane?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Anyone have any good tips to clean the inside of an auto-siphon racking cane? I racked a couple batches today and went to clean up. I sucked some sediment in my last batch and have purple gunk inside my auto-siphon and the hose that will not rinse out.

I have tried running hot water through it for an extended period of time. I put a bowl in the sink, filled it withscalding hot water and started the siphon. I let the water run and the siphon run for about 10 minutes with no change.

I tried the jet blast bottle washer and neither worked.I have a brush to clean airlocks with but can't get it down far enough to where the deposits are. I don't mind throwing the hose away but I do hate throwing the auto-siphon away.

Any suggestions?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Use some fishing line that you can thread through the racking cane and/or siphon hose. Tie one end to either your airlock brush or piece of cloth and pull it through.

Wow...never seen solids that wouldn't wash off with just water! I would try tyeing a string to the brush and drop the other end through the racking cane and pull it down through.

Soak it good in some B-Brite mixed a little stronger than normaland really good hot water. Not boiling hot but pretty hot

What kind of wine was it? The only kind I have ever had that problem with is the Elderberry. That always leaves a discusting goo that refuses to clean off without some oil - I use some vegetable oil. Once you use that, then use some sudsy wash and then some B-Brite or C-Brite. Might work with this kind also.

I racked a Crushendo Super Tuscan and a Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon. I rinsed the cane between rackings. After I was done with the last one, the Woodbridge I set it in the sink for about 10 minutes to clean up a mess I made on the floor and cabinets. I can't believe the stuff would dry that fast or that it won't rinse out simply with hot water. I don't have any B-Brite or C-Bright. I use Easy Clean and Na-Meta for cleaning and sanitizing.

I will say that the Woodbridge had more solids in the bottom of the carboy that I have ever seen in any kit before including the grape pack kits I have done. It was really weird. Even after the final racking I still see a lot of solids that have fallen so it looks like I am going to have to rack it again.

I guess I did a terrible job racking this kit. I am not the best at racking but I have never transfered that much before. I never got the tip of the cane on the bottom. It took me almost a liter to top up. Oh well, I guess if I can't get it clean I'll either use the smaller auto-siphon I bought for the Crushendo's or just get another one.

Smurfe

Try some Oxygenated cleaner, Chlorine Free. I get mine at the local Dollar Tree store. I mix a scoop to agallon of hot water for tough jobs. Let your hose soak in it for awhile, then flush with hot water. I've cleaned some disgusting looking gunk out of used wine bottles with it.
Dave

Mine does the same occaisionally with wines that have a lot of suspended solids. I use diversol (the pink stuff) and give it a 1 hour soak. Cleans right up! Caution though, as it can cause your hoses to go opaque after a time.

Latest posts

Back