Ants

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
I have ant hills very close to my new plants. They are not on them but is this anything to worry about? If so what would I use on them, they are just small ants.

Sevin is a good all around bug killer for grapes. If the ant hills are the small ones about an inch or two across, I would not worry, if they get to around a foot, spray them.

I have noticed a bunch of small black ants on the new growth of my vines. They don't seem to hurt them. Should I spray them with Sevin? They are muscadines and they are immune to a wide variety of bugs and diseases, but I don't recall anything about small black ants.

We use Diatomaceous Earth (DE)

it is used to make the bugs dehydrate by absorbing lipids from their skin/shells.
it is also used as a filter medium.
We us it on our vegetable garden all the time.

Here is a good Wikipedia article X

Bug20Crawling.gif

Dan stop that! D. Earth will work as will borax and grape jelly. 1/2 part borax and 10 parts jelly. Any flavor really. We get those bstrds in the house. It takes a week or two but will eventually kill the colony.

Or punch a hole in the center of the hill and pour scalding hot water in there. Repeat for a few days till you get the queen.

Latest posts

Back