Ants in the winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason, this year seems to be producing a bumper crop of ants. Both inside and out. I figure that as long as everything has stoppers or is covered, they can't get in the fermenters or other places.
However, is there some remedy that will keep them outside the work room??? I am not sure spraying chemicals in there is a good idea. My work room is about 8 by 15 feet.
I have placed those little ant traps around but the antskeep coming.
HELP!!!

We had problems with ants in our house as well and I do not like to spray inside, we set out the ant traps and then sprayed the around the outside of the house and no more ants
smiley1.gif

Mix cinnamon and chili powder sprinkle it around the perimiter tof the building inside and out.

xanxer82 said:
Mix cinnamon and chili powder sprinkle it around the perimiter tof the building inside and out.

LOL, cinnamon and chili powder?????? I'm trying it that would smell much better.

barryjo, "Grants" ant bait. They have the ant stakes you can put around the perimeter of the house and also the ones you lay on the floor. you can get them at Walmart.

if its been dry then ants can set up shop anywhere because the environment is hospitable to more places not just the 'normally' dry soil areas...when it then gets wetter they start seeking new shelter...they probably have been outside close to the house for a while...then the rains come and extra heavy because the house sheds rain.....in the house they come

I think my dogs brought ours in. We had tons of ants in our driveway where the dogs were laying and the next day we were bomdbarded. I sprayed the floor where they were and set out a few traps Also lightly sprayed the basement floor where I make the wine just as a prevention know they could be drawn to the area. All is well now. Regardless what someone feels about the sprays they work and the traps never have for me. Just use with caution.

barryjo said:
Sprayed the floor with what??? Most of the sprays I see have warnings about using around food,etc.

I use Dursban. I only spot spray with it and not the entire floor or area. I give each of my bottles a squirt hoping to kill off any remaining yeasties also (just kidding). The product has since been ban in the US but it really does work very well. You may still find a few bottles around as the stores deplete their shelves.

If you can get a product called Home Defense in your area, it works well. Can be used inside and outside.

Latest posts

Back