Another take on bentonite.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
Thanks Scotty. Nice post. When I'm preparing my bentonite I always get some water simmering in a pan and add it there first. It seems to mix better at higher temperatures for some reason. I just use a fork to whip it like eggs though.
If anyone does the blender or shake method do not forget that hot air expands and you're in danger of getting burned. Especially the blender option... boiling water in a blender = disaster.

If I'm reading that last paragraphcorrectly it's implying that you add the slurry when you're ready for the wine to clear. It's my understanding that you want to add bentonitebefore fermentation so that theyeast will carry the bentonite to the surface over and over and as they drop back down they'll collect their particles. Unless it's talking about a second application? Does anyone use bentonite more than once during the process?

I use the before fermentation method myself but many folks only use it in the final stages of making wine.This was mentioned in earlier threads.
I see this as a possible fix for a cloudy wine that should be finished but is not clearing after a reasonable time.
At any rate i will test the blender method with the false wine i intend to make.
I wont pour boiling water into the blender though. More likely ill add the bentonite to the boiling water in the pot and mix it. Then after a minute of settling i'll pour the goop into the blender.

Edited by: masta

Scotty, how about afood processor that is vented? Have you ever pureed hot soup in a blender? It can explode in your face.

sorry... can't help worrying about my forum friends.

sangwitch said:
Scotty, how about afood processor that is vented? Have you ever pureed hot soup in a blender? It can explode in your face.

sorry... can't help worrying about my forum friends.

Since you feel it is necessary to drive the point home i shal let the bentonite cool a great deal . Im not in a rush.

I do appreciate your extra care in this mater.

I supose cooling the bentonite to about 150 degrees will be safe.
However i do have the food processor if you feel i must use it.
Im wondering if the bentonite mix can be cooled to room temp before running it in the blender.
I am definitely having second thoughts on this now.

smiley36.gif
well... I've been burned a couple of times, once when blending soup. I took the lid off and it shot up and burned me.

I hope I wasn't being pushy. Got nothing but love over here
smiley20.gif

If you never met a person who appreciates advice and help??????

My name is Dom/ AKA scotty
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back