Another Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
What site or where do I go to find out how to do something on this site? I tried to search "Oak" to find out how to oak my wine and I get nowhere. I downloaded Google Chrome, but it just sets there on the screen and doesn't seem to do anything. As you have probably guessed, I not to good on computers. If you can tell me how to search for something, how bout making it is 3rd grade level.

Thanks

Semper Fi

The search is not working for me either. I have to click advanced search and use that then it has worked for me.

I'll let the admins. know, I did several searches and got nothing. Thanks for letting us know.

Bud, adding oak is usually (kits are different) after your wine has cleared and as you head into the aging process. For my big reds I'll use amer. med toast oak 6-8 ounces of chips for 10 months. Whites I use little if any. I have also used french med toast for my whites in the past.

Everyone if different as to what they like.

I suggest that you use Hungarian (or European) oak beads. 1 ounce per gallon.
Leave the wine on the oak for 6 to 8 weeks. This will result in a great oaky flavor.

What site or where do I go to find out how to do something on this site? I tried to search "Oak" to find out how to oak my wine and I get nowhere. I downloaded Google Chrome, but it just sets there on the screen and doesn't seem to do anything. As you have probably guessed, I not to good on computers. If you can tell me how to search for something, how bout making it is 3rd grade level.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Bud,
for the search function to work, there has to be more than three characters in the search bar. Searching for "oak" won't work. Try "adding oak" or any other key words that are more than three characters and the search should work. Good luck and Cheers!

Beat me to it. I tried again for "oak" but still that is not big enough. Sometimes even searching "oak chips" won't work as it picks out the 3 letter word.

Moving the 3 letter word to the end will make a difference.

also using quotes will help.
searching for adding oak pulls up 20 pages of results,
while searching for "adding oak" returns 2 pages of results.

This happens because with the quotes it pulls only results with the word adding followed directly by the work oak, where as without the quotes it will find all results that contain the words adding and oak (in no particular order), or sometimes results with either of the words adding or oak (not having to contain both of the word, just one of them).

Next lesson: MORE Boolean Searching. LOL. :)

Last edited:
Boolean Searching

Boolean searches allow you to combine words and phrases using the words AND, OR, NOT and NEAR (otherwise known as Boolean operators) to limit, widen, or define your search. Most Internet search engines and Web directories default to these Boolean search parameters anyway, but a good Web searcher should know how to use basic Boolean operators.

You have two choices: you can use the standard Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT, or NEAR, or you can use their math equivalents. It depends on you, the searcher, on which method you're more comfortable with.

Boolean Search Operators

• The Boolean search operator AND is equal to the "+" symbol.
    For instance - searching: raspberry +skeeter returns ONLY pages that have BOTH the word raspberry AND the word skeeter anywhere on the page.
  • The Boolean search operator NOT is equal to the "-" symbol.
    For instance - searching: raspberry -skeeter returns ONLY pages that have the word raspberry BUT NOT the word skeeter
  • The Boolean search operator OR is the default setting of any search engine; meaning, all search engines will return all the words you type in, automatically.
    For instance - searching: raspberry OR skeeter returns all pages that have either the word raspberry OR the word skeeter
    Same as searching: raspberry skeeter
  • The Boolean search operator NEAR is equal to putting a search query in quotes, i.e., "raspberry skeeter". You're essentially telling the search engine that you want all of these words, or this specific phrase, in this specific order.

/nerd

Last edited:
Back