Another new member

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine_fan

Wine newbie!
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

A little about me. I've been an all grain home brewer for 13 years and I live in central California. I sort of stumbled my way into an attempt to make wine after acquiring pomegranates from a friends farm (300 pounds to be exact). I probably should have joined and asked questions before just diving in but after doing some basic research online and with some help from our local homebrew shop I gave it a shot..... Results still pending.....

I look forward to learning more about the wine making process which is what brought me here. I'll post a thread asking specific questions on my current batch in the beginners section.

Welcome to the forum. There is definitely someone here who can answer any of your wine making questions.

Welcome aboard!

"I've been an all grain home brewer for 13 years... ", does this mean you've been making beer and ale?

Hi wine_fan,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. There are a few others on here who do all grain and it is nice to see you are taking a shot at winemaking.

Welcome to the forums. I know a bit about all grain brewing my self.. ( I have been a conscripted brew hand quite a few times).. However, I would not claim to be an expert. Their are quite a few things about wine making that might take you getting used to such as open fermentation during primary ( yeast likes the air at the start) and our almost uniform use of sulphite during aging and sorbate when back sweetining wine.

Another thing that might seem queer is that wine fermentation go all the way dry ie attenuation is virtually 100% so you can not get residual sugars by boiling at a different temp.. Hence why we use sorbate once fermentation is done and the wine is clear to allow us to sweeten the wine...

However, I am sure you know all this from the research you said you have been doing.. Anyways, if you have any questions I can gurantee you that I am more than willing to help and I am sure plenty of others are too.

Be Welcome!

Welcome aboard!

"I've been an all grain home brewer for 13 years... ", does this mean you've been making beer and ale?

I do Ales and Lagers. As others have mentioned and after reading I have noticed there are a lot of rules in beermaking that don't cross over to wine. This should be fun....

Hi wine_fan,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. There are a few others on here who do all grain and it is nice to see you are taking a shot at winemaking.

I've always wanted to try doing some wine but just never got around to it. I might need to build another fermentation chamber to accomodate both hobbies.

Latest posts

Back