Another Muscadine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Reaction score
Will be starting my first muscadine batch in a few weeks (got about 35# off my homegrown vines). Will be crushing with a press I built over the summer.

Question concern the pulp from the grapes -- know that muscadines have more pulp than juice in each grape. For those of you who have made it, should I put ALL the pulp in the primary. Have a fairly large bag toput it in, just wondered before I begin if putting all of it in would give me better results.

Danny, If the grapes are currently frozen some of them will be split and giving up the juice as they thaw. I ALWAYS ferment on the pulp and skins of the muscadine, be them red or bronze variety. I am more concerned with the flavor/taste of the finished product and not the color. If I want to make a WHITE wine I'll buy a kit or some juice. If your grapes are red, you'll get a nice dark red by using the skins too. Use a little pectic enzyme.

Danny said:
Will be starting my first muscadine batch in a few weeks (got about 35# off my homegrown vines). Will be crushing with a press I built over the summer.

what i'm really interested in seeing are the the pictures of your homemade press
smiley10.gif

20101011_215727_IMG_2423a.JPG

Picture of crusher just before starting.

20101011_215919_IMG_2426a.JPG

Once the juices started flowing.....worked well.

hot damn now thats a nice diy project. where did you score the hardware?

Bought the kit on EBay which included the hardware and instructions. I have to buy the wood and, of course, assemble. Wasa fun project.

Wow...have never had a time with a batch of wine like I did with this one - and have probably made 20-30 batches over the years.

Could not get fermentation to start using Lalvin 1122 yeast. In lookingback, think I might have oversulphited the primary. After a few days, I pitched another yeast packet - this time Montrachet (which was a little over a year old). Never started again after a few more days. Went to a nearby wine making store and bought a few more yeast packets. Pitched a packet of Lalvin 1118, which is susposed to be good at re-starting fermentations. Again, no response.

At this point (almost a week) I was getting pretty frustrated. Racked the must off the 3 dead yeast packets and made a starter with a gallon of must and Cotes de Blanc yeast. Fermentation seemed to start, so I pitched it in the large primary. Nothing happened again after a few days.

Then made a starter with no must, just sugar water, orange juice, and Lalvin 1118 yeast. When it was fermenting vigorously, I put it in with just a gallon of the must in another large primary. After a day or so, seemed like some fermentation was finally going - so added another gallon.
At that point was happy just to maybe save half of it. After 4 days, went in to check the fermentating primary and to throw away the remaining 3 gallons. To my surprise, both primaries were now fermenting.

Racked both primaries to 3 gallon carboys today. Not sure if I'll mix both into a 5 gallon carboy later or not as the two primaries were activated by different yeasts.

Hopefully, they'll both be good. (sorry this is so long).

Haven't checked back in for awhile about this batch, but finally bottled it yesterday with great results.

Did combine the two separately fermented 3 gallon batches into one 5 gallon carboy and have racked it several times over the past few months. Was a very pale, clear, pink color when bottled.

Decided to slighly sweeten, but not a sweet as blackberry that I also just bottled a few weeks ago. Tasted absolutely great - as good as I've gotten at any local wineries.

Will post some pics when I get some time.

Wish I had seen this post and that DIY press a week ago. I just finished crushing 12 gallons of muscadines by hand about an hour ago. Took forever and welted my arms up for some reason. Won't stop itching now lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back