another first for me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
My first malolactic chromatography test ... this stuff is fun. All three are in in a healthy MLF. :)
4af222d8.jpg

Ok, I kinda screwed up in the very beginning and added too much Tartaric acid. I’m real glad I only added half of what I calculated.
The PH tested at
B8) 3.23
B9) 3.27
B10) 3.35
and the TA tested at
B8) 7.97
B9) 8.42
B10) 7.82
Here is my plan. They all 3 have very active MLF going so I’m going to let that complete. At this point I will protect them with SO2. Then to drop the Tartaric I will Cold Stabilize them for a period of time. Then I am going to cycle all three through the barrel. If then if I still need to drop some acid I will add a touch of Potassium Carbonate.
Does this sound like a solid plan? Any other recommendations?

Last edited:
What happened? The first numbers you posted were not that low on pH or high in acid. MLF will help those numbers. Use carbonate as a last resort only. Your plan sounds good. How's the taste?

Congrats on passing the chromatography exam! :br

What happened? The first numbers you posted were not that low on pH or high in acid. MLF will help those numbers. Use carbonate as a last resort only. Your plan sounds good. How's the taste?

Congrats on passing the chromatography exam! :br

At mid fermentation the numbers looked good ... then after press they changed, I may have had some acid not stirred in and sitting at the bottom if thats possible. Crap I really don't know. I have been reading around and find some titrate to a lower number then 8.2 on pre-fermintation.

It's funny the one with the highest TA taste the best. I can't tell if it's "green" or "tart" I'm tasting but I can tell this is going to be some great wine. It won't be flabby for sure.

I still can't get over how deep the color is on the Cab.

I went back last night and looked at what you added compared to what I added. You added 60gm to each and I added 15gm.

I will retest again after MLF is complete and up it a bit if it needs it. I did check the pH on the Petit Verdot that was acting so screwy and the pH did come down to 3.83 after fermentation.

Agree on the color, BLACK as the night on the Cab!

Yea, for some reason I'm not too worried about it. With my limited knowladge I think ... I'd rather be going into MLF and CS with a slightly high TA number.

I'm in no hurry and other than sulfites ... I won't be making any changes for at least 6 months.

I think they are in great shape. Sometimes the best wine is made with less manipulation. The wine knows what it wants to be, and when you try to force it, you can really mess it up.

I think they are in great shape. Sometimes the best wine is made with less manipulation. The wine knows what it wants to be, and when you try to force it, you can really mess it up.

Thanks ... advise taken

Ok test two shows B8 and B10 is almost done, it looks like B9 still has a some work to do.

cb2fabd0.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back