anaerobic vs aerobic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has found anaerobic and/or aerobic fermentation effects the final taste of most kits. I have never had any trouble starting fermentation with kits. I keep the primary covered and stir the wine daily to get some O2 into the mix. It isn't until the wine goes into the secondary that I create an anaerobic environment for the yeast. This is typically what the kit instructions recommend. I was curious if a more aerobic environment during the primary ferment would provide a different end result. Has anyone done research on this?

If you are opening the lid and stirring it during fermentation that is supplying your wine with plenty of 02.

I know stirring creates an aerobic environment. It is not until the secondary that I establish an anaerobic environment. What would the results be if I didn't let air in from the earliest stage?

For smaller batches like this and the yeast supplied in these kits I highly doubt there would be any difference.

From what I understand, yeast needs oxygen to help it thrive. If it was deprived of oxygen it wouldn't be able to do it's job resulting in a less than excellent ferment. I'm not sure what exactly that would affect as overall quality other than alcohol content, though.

Edit: Just came across this post in reply to this topic asking about fermentation.

Last edited:
I know stirring creates an aerobic environment. It is not until the secondary that I establish an anaerobic environment. What would the results be if I didn't let air in from the earliest stage?

You have to remember that there is dissolved oxygen in the juice/water so this is what the yeast will use if you start in a carboy.
The recipe for apfelwein calls for the fermentation to begin inside a carboy using an airlock. I have never made this wine but I know that it is quite popular and I haven't heard of anybody having any problems.
That being said, I must say that starting in a carboy might create a problem if the yeast is stressed in any way, so it is best to reduce your chances of running into problems by starting in a primary.

You have to remember that there is dissolved oxygen in the juice/water so this is what the yeast will use if you start in a carboy.
The recipe for apfelwein calls for the fermentation to begin inside a carboy using an airlock. I have never made this wine but I know that it is quite popular and I haven't heard of anybody having any problems.
That being said, I must say that starting in a carboy might create a problem if the yeast is stressed in any way, so it is best to reduce your chances of running into problems by starting in a primary.

This is a touchy subject.

As was mentioned, you can get by with this with small batches.

I know that is what the instructions say and I would not want you to deviate from them. Again, "Go by the instructions!!!"

White wines are particularly susceptible to oxidation. I figure they want you to lock it up in a carboy with an air lock, because your chances of it being oxidized is much greater, if you don't lock it up, especially if you are not experienced. For reds, I don't know why they would want you to lock it up...

But from a logical point of view (I won't say "scientific point of view because I am far from being a scientist!!!), if the kit does not say to lock up the wine, I would never ever lock it up during primary.

For whites, when instructions don't say to lock it up, I would keep container lid sealed, but I would open it at least once per day during primary only and stir in a little oxygen. The wine, white or red is going to be producing lots and lots of CO2 during primary. That CO2 will displace any air in only a few minutes, even in a sealed container with no air lock. CO2 is heavier than air, so it will always blanket beneath the air/oxygen.

As was already stated, there is some oxygen in the juice already and some in the water, which is being added. For such kits, go by the instructions, but if the instructions don't say to lock it up, I believe you would be looking for H2S or a stuck fermentation or both, if you lock it up with an air lock during primary and never open to stir.

Latest posts

Back