Ambient light?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippoGeek

Junior
Reaction score
Will ambient light hurt my kit wine when it's in the secondary? (it's a chardonnay). It's not in direct sunlight or anything. Just wondering if I need to put a blanket over it to keep it in the dark...

Thanks in advance.

Agrees with cmason. Never hurts to cover it. I have leftover black chaircovers from my wedding that I cut a hole in, they slide right over it. Before I remembered I had the chair covers, I'd wrap a towel around it and secure it at the neck with a rubber band. Of course I'm so "pack for bear" minded that I even cover over the few inches of exposed neck space on my demijohn.

Ounce of prevention.... even if it's overkill, is still an ounce of prevention.

Back in the day, I used to cover all of my carboys with t shirts. Today nothing gets covered. All those carboys, all those beautiful colors, I don't won't to hide them. My carboys are in the basement with shades on the windows. I'm not worried about the lighting and little bit of day light that comes in. Can you imagine going to the wine store and seeing all the bottles covered up?

No light is good for red wine.... That is why all the bottles are heavily tinted... How much harm? Who cares..... It is just good practice.

Sam

Latest posts

Back