Cellar Craft Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He may be afraid of extracting too many tannis? I assure you this is not possible with the small amount in one kit. As when making wine from grapes you dont want to press to hard or you will extract too much of this and you will taste it in youtr wine and probably ruin thre whole batch. Its why some places keep the free run totally seperate and never blend and like I keep them seperate and blend at the end to taste to make sure you dont use too much if you accidentally do press to hard. When pressing yopu should keep a small glass of free run and taste it against your pressings and you willknow when your pressing to hard.

Amerone

Hi All,

I am just getting ready to rac my CC Zin into a carboy for some long term aging, i.e. 6-9 month. Then I will start the CC Amerone. Is it ok to bulk age the Amerone? I was wondering if it would help to also add oak chips to the bulk aging. Any thoughts? I am presently putting in a one acre vineyard with Zin, Cabernet Franc, and Sangiovese grapes. In the meantime, I am learning winemaking from these great kits. Thanks for your input and thoughts. Gary

Good choice Gem. As I mentioned in another thread I just ordered this kit yesterday, should arrive today. I've been making notes as to how I plan to proceed with my Amarone. So far all I have decided is that since it only comes with untoasted American oak I will add some Hungarian toasted oak cubes in secondary and either barrel age (Hungarian 23ltr) for three months or carboy age with either more Hungarian cubes or medium French toast oak spiral. I usually bulk age 6 months then bottle.

Thanks TonyT,

I was wondering about adding the oak during bulk aging, but I thought I read somewhere that amerone does not like too much oak. Is that correct? For the life of me I can't remember where I read it. How are you holding the spires in the carboy and how much oak are you adding? GEM

I like oak, so I add oak. I doubt that any commercially Amarone is made with untoasted American oak, European oak - yes, French oak - maybe. Hang the spiral in the carboy from mono-filiment fishing line or dental floss. Taste every week or two. Spirals give up all their flavor after 6 weeks but you may want to remove prior to that. The normal spiral dose is two spirals for 6 weeks. I will only add one and it will likely stay in the entire 6 weeks. then it will wind up going into the smoker with the next slab or pork ribs or brisket.

I made this kit 14 months ago. Still in bulk aging [6 gal. carboy], I added toasted oak chips for a 3 mo. racking time, approx. 8 mo. ago. I too like OAK. Planning on bottling when I get back home, in 2 mo. Taste seems to improve every 3 mo. Hope to leave in the bottle 8 months, [total of 2 yrs in the making] then drink one every month or 2, for the next 2-3 yrs. Roy

Help!

I did my Amarone last night. During the course, by the time to add the oaks, I astonishly saw tow packs of oaks. Since I have already started, I decided to add them all. Is it right?

Thanks

Ed

Help!

I did my Amarone last night. During the course, by the time to add the oaks, I astonishly saw tow packs of oaks. Since I have already started, I decided to add them all. Is it right?

Thanks

Ed

If the instructions didn't mention two packets of oak, treat them both as if only one packet.

Ed, I did this kit 2 yrs. ago & added the 2 packs at the same time. Remember 1 pack was almost sawdust, can't remember if the 2nd was more dust or chips. My wine is now almost 2 yrs. old & awesome, trying to keep some for year 3 & 4. Roy

My CC Amarone is about 9 months old and wonderful. I'm about to get the RJS Winery series Amarone and see which I like better. Any decent Amarone goes for $40-$100 a bottle.

Ahhhh, Amarone. My favorite wine on the planet. I have made the CC Showcase Amarone as my Christmas wine for many years and absolutely love it. I have several bottles from last year's version waiting for this Christmas. I am hoping I have the patients and discipline to keep at least 1 bottle till Christmas 2013.

I made a MM Renniasance Amarone for this Christmas. It is far more oakey than the CC and may need an extra year to really show it's potential. I have tried a coupe splits and it is still rather toasty. Thinking of trying a WE Amarone with skins for next year.

FTC Wines said:
Ed, I did this kit 2 yrs. ago & added the 2 packs at the same time. Remember 1 pack was almost sawdust, can't remember if the 2nd was more dust or chips. My wine is now almost 2 yrs. old & awesome, trying to keep some for year 3 & 4. Roy

Thanks. Both packs are dust like

IMO the RJS EP is better then the CC. I have not tried the Mosti Masters or Mosti Meglioli in Amwrone but have had the Mosti Meg Barolo and have to say it was the best wine kit I have ever tasted ....... That being said its almost twice the price. As far as oak in kits Ive never come across a kit that oaked a wine too much, they are typically way under what I prefer except maybe eith whites but I dont really like many whites oaked with the exception of Chard and even then I usually like unoaled better.

I made the Mosti Mondiale Renaissance Amarone with raisins. It is about 32 months old now but needs more time as it continues to get better. It still has a slight bit of kit taste that lessens a little about every three months. I am going to hold off until 36 months to try to drink, hoping it doesn't peak before then. If at 36 months it's not ready, I'll try for 42 months; don't know why but when it comes to wine, I have great patience. It will be a good test of my sanitation methods and quality of corks for sure.

Having said all this, I have decided I really don't like the taste of an Amarone that well. It is very different and not a wine everyone can like.

Last edited:
Just realized the amarone is so thick, and the must smells so good as every day progresses.

When I make grape skin kits i use the fermenting bag, its just so much easier. There is enough room in the bags to allow proper flow through but you must push it down every day at least once 2-3 times would be better.

I always try to use a bag but I made a bunch of wine last week and ran out of bags. I did have a bag for my 18 gallon batch of a blend I am making of Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon and I had a bag for one of two 6 gallon batches of Zinfandel Royal I am making. The other Zin just got the skins dumped into the fermenter. I know it is more work, but I was ill prepared.

Now, here is my observation and my question. As I said, I have two batches of Zinfandel going. They both started out with the same SG but the batch with the loose grape skins is fermenting notably faster. This AM the two batches were sitting at 1.028 and 1.036. Does this make any sense? I can't think of a reason because I squeeze the bag a couple times a day and stir the batch with loose skins.

Now, here is my observation and my question. As I said, I have two batches of Zinfandel going. They both started out with the same SG but the batch with the loose grape skins is fermenting notably faster. This AM the two batches were sitting at 1.028 and 1.036. Does this make any sense? I can't think of a reason because I squeeze the bag a couple times a day and stir the batch with loose skins.

Since your SG is higher in one of them, that means the sugars are in suspension so the bag doesn't appear to have anything to do with it.

I've fermented dozens of batches of beer side by side (11 gallon batches split into 2 identical 5.5 gallon splits) and had the 2 ferment at completely different paces. I think it has more to do with the O2 in suspension when pitching the yeast, and the actual yeast viability that goes into the fermenter than any other factors. They will finish the same as long as you're stirring and squeezing the bag.

True, Rocky, it doesn't make sense. Each batch of wine, even poured from the same original container, will have its own personality and do things its own way.

That's the artistic side of the science of making wine. :dg

Ahhhh, Amarone. My favorite wine on the planet. I have made the CC Showcase Amarone as my Christmas wine for many years and absolutely love it. I have several bottles from last year's version waiting for this Christmas. I am hoping I have the patients and discipline to keep at least 1 bottle till Christmas 2013.

I made a MM Renniasance Amarone for this Christmas. It is far more oakey than the CC and may need an extra year to really show it's potential. I have tried a coupe splits and it is still rather toasty. Thinking of trying a WE Amarone with skins for next year.

Roger, I have made both......the WE with skins (which was off the hook good!) and the MM Rennaisance. To be honest, I love them both and the more age they have on them the more great they are!!! :)
KAthie

Latest posts

Back