WineXpert Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterZ

Reaction score
Since I am probably going to do an Amarone for my next kit, I thought I would buy a bottle for Christmas dinner. Dinner will be beef tenderloin with a spicy Cajun shrimp cream sauce, so a big red is appropriate.

My local purveyor of spirits had three Amarones in stock, ranging from $48.50 to $74.99! What a shock! Amarones must be highly sought after.

I'm about to leave for some tasting before dinner tonight. If I see an Amarone I'll try it and let ya know.

I've heard the same prices around my neck of the woods so I guess its THAT GOOD!

Peter,

I am not sure if you have a Trader Joe's near you or not. I bought a bottle
there last night with the same thinking as you as I made a kit today. The bottle was $16. I do
not know if it is a good one or not, but we had no problem polishing
off the bottle last night.

Amarone.jpg

Amarone's tend to be very expensive. That is why the demnd for the Amarone wine kit is so high and is such a bargain.

The batch I have started now, smells really good! Mosti Mondiale Amarone.Iam tostir it everyday; Itaste the leftover on the spoon and it is really good. If it is as good as it is at the beginning, I'm sure to purchase more.Especially at that price.

Does anyone have an Amarone thats about a year old?

I made mine about a year ago (maybe 9 months) and it has to me what taste like a vinegar taste to it, alsmost an oxidized taste, but it doesn't appear to be oxidized at all, nor did it ever get the chance to oxidize. Is this the normal taste of Amarone? I'm not an Italian wine drinker, and have never had a commercial Amarone to compare it to.

That @#$%'s Jobe. Spend all that money and time and have it not to your
liking. Did you taste it earlier and was it like this. I would like to
make this kit in the future and like you I'm not an Italian wine
drinker but want to try it and have a real good wine for when company
comes over. What brand Amarone was this?

jobe05 said:
Does anyone have an Amarone thats about a year old?

I made mine about a year ago (maybe 9 months) and it has to me what taste like a vinegar taste to it, alsmost an oxidized taste, but it doesn't appear to be oxidized at all, nor did it ever get the chance to oxidize. Is this the normal taste of Amarone? I'm not an Italian wine drinker, and have never had a commercial Amarone to compare it to.

I have a batch that is right at a year. I opened a bottle myself last week and it was really rough. I had opened a bottle a few months ago and it wasn't bad at all. I even took a bottle of it to Winestockin May and many really liked it.What I had the other day wasn't near as good.

This is a long term wine to age. Maybe it goes through stages like that till maturity. Mine didn't taste like vinegar but i have to say it did have a bit of an oxidized taste to it.I probably won't open another for at least 6 months. Hopefully it will smooth out some by then.

In regards to the commercial Amarone being so expensive, I always thought it was because they aged them for 5-7 years before release as opposed to two years like most commercial wines. I figured storage costs upped the price per bottle.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Thanks smurf, I should have added that once decanted (my big word for pouring a glass and letting it sit for a while) the taste of vinegar mellowed out a lot, and had a nice (italian wine) taste to it, with a sweetness on the back of the tongue.

Wade: At bottling time it did not taste this way. Tasted kinda like the usual young wine that needs to be put in a bottle. When I bottle a long ager such as this, I always bottle several small 187ML bottles for tasting during the aging process. Like Smurf said, it seems to change from bad to good to bad to good during the aging prossess for some reason. Decanting really does help though.

But even the way mine taste, this is just my taste buds opinion, I would still highly recommend making this kit. Mine was a Cellar Craft kit by the way.

I though it was a year minamum and 2-3 years preffered for big reds.

I also have (and am having right now) a limited edition Barbera that is very good right now, and thats only been in the bottle for a few months now. A friend of mine had a guest come from Italy, so I gave him 2 bottles of each, the Amarone and Barbera. He said his friend loved the Barbera, and drank most of the 2 bottles.... Didn't speak highly of the Amarone
smiley19.gif

Well, so far this Amaronesmells and tastes good even in the fermenting stage. After listening to this forum I think I will bottle several smaller bottles to sample along the way. Two-three years is a long time to wait!

Jobe05, I forgot to add that my kit was a Cellar Craft kit as well. It has been very well received by all of the Italians that I know (My wifes entire family). I have to say though, the wine everyone raves about and keeps asking for if the cheapest kit I have ever done. The Vintners Reserve Blush. I personally don't like it but everyone else, particularly the Italian community around here seems to love it.
Most Italian's seem to gravitate toward the less heavy wines contrary to what many believe. This is how they drink wine with every meal and not get fall down drunk. They drink lighter, lower alcohol wines on average during the day and the Big Reds with the evening meal. That explains the diversity of Italian wines.So I have a dilemma with my Irish heritage and the wifes Italian heritage. Fall down drunk vs. connoisseur of fine wines.
Smurfe

smurfe said:
So I have a dilemma with my Irish heritage and the wifes Italian heritage. Fall down drunk vs. connoisseur of fine wines.
Smurfe

If you are full blood Irish, The choice is clear........ Fall down Drunk!
smiley36.gif

Although I've never seen one fall.........

Back