WineXpert Winexpert LE15

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received a catalog from Midwest Supplies today and noticed they are done with WE and have gone to RJS. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I suspect it may have contributed.

OOPS! I just went to the Midwest Supplies website and see they still offer WE products. They are promoting RJS heavily (but not competitively on the higher end kits). Sorry to give inaccurate information.

Vpk

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ofe8SSlclc&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

2016 Passport Collection – Limited Release wine kits:
Dec. 2015 – Australian Cab Franc / Cab Sauvignon - SKU# 006186 – Your wholesale cost each: $90.59
Jan. 2016 – Italian (Umbria) Montepulciano. Includes grape skins - SKU# 006187 – Your wholesale cost each: $105.49
Jan. 2016 – California (Lodi) Sauvignon Blanc / Muscat - SKU# 006188 – Your wholesale cost each: $84.89
Feb. 2016 – Chilean/Argentinean Pinot Noir / Merlot / Syrah - SKU# 006189 – Your wholesale cost each: $90.59
Mar. 2016 – California/S. Africa/Spain Three Country Cab – This kit includes a grape skins pack. SKU# 006190 – Your wholesale cost each: $105.49

Dec. 2015 – Australian Cab Franc / Cab Sauvignon - SKU# 006186 – Your wholesale cost each: $90.59
Jan. 2016 – Italian (Umbria) Montepulciano. Includes grape skins - SKU# 006187 – Your wholesale cost each: $105.49
Jan. 2016 – California (Lodi) Sauvignon Blanc / Muscat - SKU# 006188 – Your wholesale cost each: $84.89
Feb. 2016 – Chilean/Argentinean Pinot Noir / Merlot / Syrah - SKU# 006189 – Your wholesale cost each: $90.59
Mar. 2016 – California/S. Africa/Spain Three Country Cab – This kit includes a grape skins pack. SKU# 006190 – Your wholesale cost each: $105.49

LWM, where are you getting those prices?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ofe8SSlclc&feature=youtu.be

My goodness, Tim looks thin and pasty. :d

Now thats funny!

k8j1i6.jpg

I will definitely be buying the Gewürztraminer Verdelho Muscat.
I hope those LE whites are 18L of juice, they don't really say.

I will definitely be buying the Gewürztraminer Verdelho Muscat.
I hope those LE whites are 18L of juice, they don't really say.

Not sure about the WE LE's, but the Passports are definitely 18L. RJ's are all 16L

I went to my LHBS to buy bottles, with no intention of buying any kits.

But......

Ended up preordering the
-Gewürztraminer Verdelho Muscat, March
-Fourtitude with Grape Skins, April

They can be my motivation to get my seyval blanc, viognier, ports, and chardonnay into bottles. :)

Heather

I understand what you are saying and certainly can't argue with it. However, what Wine Expert is doing (quite successfully, I might add) is making it more difficult for the consumer to do business with them. It is making the retailers jump through hoops to carry out their marketing plans and is costing them business in the long run. I received a catalog from Midwest Supplies today and noticed they are done with WE and have gone to RJS. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I suspect it may have contributed.

On the other hand, people are certainly talking about WE more than ever before. As the saying goes, 'there is no such thing as bad advertising'.

OK, I have to jump in here to set the record straight.
Winexpert does not in any way shape or form exert any influence over pricing in the U.S., or anywhere else, whether it be real price or advertised price.
Winexpert does not sell to any retailer, online or otherwise, in the U.S. We sell exclusively to an American wholesale distributor. Any decisions or policies regarding minimum advertised pricing are solely those of the distributor.

OK, I have to jump in here to set the record straight.
Winexpert does not in any way shape or form exert any influence over pricing in the U.S., or anywhere else, whether it be real price or advertised price.
Winexpert does not sell to any retailer, online or otherwise, in the U.S. We sell exclusively to an American wholesale distributor. Any decisions or policies regarding minimum advertised pricing are solely those of the distributor.

Very interesting, Peter! On our end, we cannot easily distinguish who is responsible (Peller or WE or the distributor). Thanks for clearing that up.

Hmmm, WE is responsible for choosing its distributor..... Just sayin'! :D

Thank you for your comments, Peter. I believe in an earlier post I mentioned that it could be Carlson or WE who is doing this but I wasn't sure.

Bottom line is, WE DOES have control over who their distributor is. If they disagree with this approach, they have the ability to bring it to an end. By doing nothing, they are supporting the practice. Don't get me wrong, they have the right to operate their business any way they choose. That's what free enterprise is all about. I am not trying to bad mouth them for their direction.

I am simply saying that I, too, have the power to decide how my money is spent. If prices are going to be manipulated in this way, I will spend my money elsewhere. There are other viable options out there and I will go to them.

I am disappointed that I can't, in my mind, purchase WE products because of this. I am ignoring top quality products because of a difference of opinion. But, we both have to do what we have to do to be true to our belief systems. That is what freedom is about and should never change.

Very interesting, Peter! On our end, we cannot easily distinguish who is responsible (Peller or WE or the distributor). Thanks for clearing that up.

Hmmm, WE is responsible for choosing its distributor..... Just sayin'! :D

You are 100% correct Paul, we can choose our distributor, and LD Carlson does a tremendous job of distributing our products in the U.S. and have done so for many, many years.
The real issue here is the changing landscape of the retail market in general, as more and more consumers (not just in our business) move to buying online.
The home brewing industry in North America was built on the backs of bricks and mortar "Mom & Pop" style specialty retailers, who got people brewing one at a time. Many of these became successful and are still around. The ones who didn't do a great job are mostly gone.
The advent of online shopping created an opportunity for home brewing products to be bought and sold at discount prices, since online stores have lower overheads. This is great for existing consumers as lower prices generally means higher consumption. It's not great for starting new consumers to our hobby as most have many questions and prefer the traditional retail environment until they get established. (This comes from customer engagement surveys we have done)
So, our industry/hobby needs both online and traditional distribution points to thrive, and while I personally (my opinion only) believe in free trade not controlled access, we need both avenues to be successful to ensure the continued growth of our hobby/business.
I (again, personally) don't think MAP is as evil as some folks make it out to be. Smart online retailers have already figured out how to honor the MAP agreement and still give discounts to their customers, just like good traditional retailers also have in-store specials, customer loyalty discount programs, etc. and still honor MAP. In the same vein, savvy online shoppers will always find the best deal, regardless of MAP.
Again, while I firmly believe in a free market, and even though Winexpert has nothing to do with pricing in the U.S. (other than honoring our existing distribution agreement) I think that MAP is beneficial in that it sets a fair starting point for pricing products. Many retailers sell higher, many sell lower, and both are free to do so under MAP.

Back