Amarone. What's the deal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty happy with my RJS En Primeur Amarone. It'll be 2 years old in July and is still improving.

Jim, just out of curiosity, have you re-corked your Amarone, or do you plan to, since it's going over 2 years old? Or did you use a cork initially that you're confident will last as long as you plan to age? I just started this hobby in October, and just used the corks that came with my starter kit and are available in my LHBS so far.

This thread has really piqued my interest, and I'll be adding the RJS Amarone to my to-do list!!

Jim, just out of curiosity, have you re-corked your Amarone, or do you plan to, since it's going over 2 years old? Or did you use a cork initially that you're confident will last as long as you plan to age? I just started this hobby in October, and just used the corks that came with my starter kit and are available in my LHBS so far.

One of my earlier kits was a gewurztraminer. About 18 months later, I noticed the corks were weeping, so I recorked what I had left with good corks.

I'm getting excited, Doug from Brew and Wine Shop shipped my RJS Amarone out on Friday.

My kit is bulk aging going on 3 months. Last month I tasted it and wasn't too optimistic. Tasted it last night and it has dramatically improved. Wow! At this point should I be adding anything or just leave it be and bottle when ready?

This thread has really piqued my interest, and I'll be adding the RJS Amarone to my to-do list!!

I'm using quality corks that I have no lack of confidence in aging for 5 years (or more if I need to). FWIW, I have some other corks in wines going on 3 years now that appear to be just fine. I'd only re-cork if there is some evidence that you need to.

I have one 4 yr Amarone, 25 two yr Amarones, and a carboy of 8 month old. Trying to keep the Amarone flowingp. As to corks, I haven't re-corked anything, inc 6 yr old Apple & Peach, my oldest wines. Using corks from Doug that are $11.99!per 100. Had been paying $18-20 per for them in other locations. When I pull a cork on a 5-6 yr old bottle the first1/8 " or so is wet/colored with wine the balence of the cork is dry. Roy

Thanks for the responses, Jim and Roy. I guess they're ok if I don't see any leakage and they're on their sides? I suppose if the corks are allowing too much air in they'd also be letting a little liquid out...

We can get in RJS kits, sometimes it takes a little longer as I don't order from them as often as I do the WE supplier. they just don't move as fast as the WE kits out the door.

Latest posts

Back