WineXpert Amarone vs amarone vs amarone...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasv

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to plan out some of the kits I want to do this fall/winter and I think Amarone is certainly one of them.

Here at FVW, I see 4 kits: http://www.finevinewines.com/Wine-Kit-Varietials-Details.asp?MM_Flavor=Amarone

<ul>[*]<a href="http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?MM_Flavor=Amarone&amp;PartNumber=RE078" target="_blank">Mosti Mondiale - Renaissance - with raisins - $115
</a>[*]Mosti Mondiale - All Juice Masters Edition - with raisins - $154[*]
Mosti Mondiale - Original All Juice - with raisins - $120[*]
Winexpert Selection International - Amarone - $115[/list]Does anyone have any experience with these 4? 3 of them are comparable in price, and the masters is a bit higher. I know generally you get what you pay for, but I'm just trying to get a good sense of the differences between these four and hear what fellow winemakers recommend.

I think I'll be doing the Winexpert Selection International Argentine Malbec, so it might be interesting to try a different type of kit all together but I was curious to hear your thoughts.

p.s. i haven't made wine from kit yet!
smiley9.gif

Cheers,
-Nico

Nico, I am currently in the degassing / clarifying stage of the MM Original All Juice with rasins, and it tastes fantastic already. I'll probably enter this one in the People's Choice Contest at Winestock 2008.

Nico.Being subjective as wine is I think if I were you I would pick the lower end kit and the uppper end kit and make them both. Your pallette will then make the decision as to which is actually better and you can determine if trhe price difference is worth the difference in the two wines. Something I like you might find you do not care for it at all and vice versa

my opinion is that if you never made a kit before and you start with an amarone... hummm this is one of the most "powerfull" wine offered in kit.

Hope you like big red with lots of alcool and taste and tannin and well everithing.

if you want to make experiment, wait in january so you could also add Meglioli Amarone kit 200$+ kit
smiley36.gif

and try all the 5 kit side by side
smiley2.gif

just remember that not everybody loves amarone since it's a red bomb.

maybe for your first kit you should aim for a medium red wine like a Vieux chateau or a merlot????

I made the WE Selection for a friendback when it was a 3 gallon kit and had one bottle after 1 year of aging. From what I remember it was good but would suggest going with the MM all juice or Masters as these should make a better wine.

As David suggests the Megliolo Amarone should be "da bomb" next year.

I'm a big fan of Italian style wines, and in general appreciate both the new world and old world subtleties and bombs!!! (especially if they're red
smiley2.gif
) I'm trying to learn as much as I can about varieties I'm not as familiar with, and I have a particular curiosity for these wines from Valpolicella.

Looks like I might lean toward one of the MM kits for an Amarone and do WE for the Argentine Malbec!

Thanks very much for chiming in here! I realize a lot of this is subjective, but I do value others' opinions and experiences!

-Nico

A fresh juice Mosti Amarone might be one of my four selections I plan to buy in October since I can get these locally in CT.
Mosti lists this as one of their "Proprietary Blend" juices and not sourced specifically from one area.Edited by: masta

Nico, here is another one to consider. The following is the WinExpert description of their Crushendo Corvina Classico Di Veneto:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The power grape of <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Italy</st1:place></st1:country-region>’s famed Valpolicella, Bardolino and Amarone, Corvina is renowned for fruity, full-bodied wines with cherry aromas and a hint of almond. The <st1:State w:st="on">Veneto</st1:State> region stretches from the northeast border with <st1:country-region w:st="on">Austria</st1:country-region> down to coastal <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Venice</st1:City></st1:place>, with a mild continental climate ideal for long, controlled ripening and intense grapes.

Corvina Classico has lush, intriguing aromas of ripe red cherries and raspberries, delicate hints of almond, toast and spice and a richly tannic finish that has the fruit lingering on your palate for many minutes.

In the historic footsteps of Amarone—a wine fermented with a reserve of crushed grapeskins—the Crushendo™ grape pack brings immense grape tannin and character to the wine, and the special EC1118 yeast enhances the wonderful cherry fruitiness. Right out of the carboy this wine will have intense, gripping tannins, and although drinkable immediately, it will open up and blossom into a wine of unique power and elegance over two to four years.

I have the MM Renaissance w/ Raisins and it has been in the bottle right at 6 months. The notes say it peaks at 2 years. I always end up with a couple of bottles that are not presentation quality. One of these I opened a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was really good and definitely worth the extra $20 (66 cents a bottle) above some of the standard kits I buy. I can't really compare with the other kits though.

How about buying all four, starting them at the same time and have a taste test in about 18 months?
smiley1.gif

Thanks for the extra tips everyone! That crushendo kit looks cool also!

peterCooper said:
How about buying all four, starting them at the same time and have a taste test in about 18 months?
smiley1.gif

I wish, but $$$ can be a "gotcha" - any donations???
smiley36.gif

-Nico

I hear you there Nico. There is never enough money to get all of the stuff you want. I say make one and make it well. If you can swing two, all that much better. Better to make some than none! I've done The WE Crushendo Super Tuscan, and it is really good in my humble opinion.

Nico,

I also have the All Juice with raisins from MM. Aafter stabilizing, it was so good, I put a gallon in a jug for immediate comsumption. The rest went in a carboy for bulk aging. It was fantastic immediately after degassing!

You mnention Valpolicella - I have the MM All Juice I haven't started yet.Edited by: bj4271

I have found that i like the big red wines I have not made a Amarone yet but i will. I luv chianti i have valapocella aging. stand bys merlot and cabe sav.
My mother luvs my cab sav. I have a hard time getting any of hers to age. I have to hold back approx 5 bottles to let it age. I stick pretty much with 13 ltr kits. The seem to age well and are pretty cost effective. After i start the kit i never use any more water i use scaricail wine to topping up.
I have made a generic white and a red for this. strangly they are not bad if i have left over i drink it. pretty tasty and good to cook with.

Latest posts

Back