Mosti Mondiale Barolo, Brunello and Amarone...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I've been making mostly Cellar Craft Showcase and RJS Winery Series kits for the past coupla years, so I decided to venture out and make a few MM kits. The ones that struck me right away were the Renaissance and Renaissance Impressions kits. The Renaissance Impressions kits come with raisins and grape packs, the Renaissance kits have neither. So I bought a Barolo that has both and a Brunello that has neither, and used the raisins on the Barolo and the grape pack on the Brunello. Both of these are bottled now and I like them both. I do not get the lack of body from either kit that some others said they experienced. They have excellent body, color and aroma, but most of all they taste VERY good! So I bought another Renaissance Impressions Barolo and the Amarone as well, using both the raisins and grape pack in each kit. The Barolo is bulk ageing and has a little "over the top" taste going on (slightly similar to kit taste), but the Amarone is progressing perfectly. Maybe it's true you should pick one or the other for the raisins and grape packs, like the instructions say.

I've been quite surprised at these kits! My expectations weren't high due to what others have said. I'm glad to report that I'm adding these kits to my short list (which is pretty long!!).

On the downside, these kits to do include labels (not the end of the world). One thing they REALLY SHOULD INCLUDE in nylon bags for the raisins or grapes. Having to run to the store to buy 60¢ hop bags (several) was unimpressive. On the other hand, they include yeast nutrient, which IMO is far more important than bentonite other clarifiers.

So all-in-all I'm giving the Mosti Mondiale kits I've tried so far the big "thumbs up":br

Last edited:
Good to know i am also looking to diffrent kits and this is just what i was looking for. I have been doing RJS kits and want to try others but wanted to hear what others think and what the end product is like.

Shane

I've been making mostly Cellar Craft Showcase and RJS Winery Series kits for the past coupla years, so I decided to venture out and make a few MM kits. The ones that struck me right away were the Renaissance and Renaissance Impressions kits. The Renaissance Impressions kits come with raisins and grape packs, the Renaissance kits have neither. So I bought a Barolo that has both and a Brunello that has neither, and used the raisins on the Barolo and the grape pack on the Brunello. Both of these are bottled now and I like them both. I do not get the lack of body from either kit that some others said they experienced. They have excellent body, color and aroma, but most of all they taste VERY good! So I bought another Renaissance Impressions Barolo and the Amarone as well, using both the raisins and grape pack in each kit. The Barolo is bulk ageing and has a little "over the top" taste going on (slightly similar to kit taste), but the Amarone is progressing perfectly. Maybe it's true you should pick one or the other for the raisins and grape packs, like the instructions say.

I've been quite surprised at these kits! My expectations weren't high due to what others have said. I'm glad to report that I'm adding these kits to my short list (which is pretty long!!).

On the downside, these kits to do include labels (not the end of the world). One thing they REALLY SHOULD INCLUDE in nylon bags for the raisins or grapes. Having to run to the store to buy 60¢ hop bags (several) was unimpressive. On the other hand, they include yeast nutrient, which IMO is far more important than bentonite other clarifiers.

So all-in-all I'm giving the Mosti Mondiale kits I've tried so far the big "thumbs up":br
I made the Renaissance Amarone with raisins 35 months ago. Early on this wine was a sweet and tart and was quite unpleasant. I just had a bottle tonight and it was finally earthy, musky and raisin like as an Amarone should be. I am all smiles tonight.

MM is a very frustrating company IMHO. They take excellent juice and then skimp on things like skins bags, clearing get agents and labels. Frustrating.

MM is a very frustrating company IMHO. They take excellent juice and then skimp on things like skins bags, clearing get agents and labels. Frustrating.

I agree about the labels. You would think since this is for home winemaking they would make ones that were easier to remove. These are the worst.

Aside from the Megs, I don't think MM supplies any labels. All of my MM kits have had clearing agents (gel and bentonite). The one thing EVERY kit should have is yeast nutrient. I was shocked to see some in my MM kits.

And frankly, if you haven't experienced some of the older CC and WE labels, you haven't felt pain! They came off in chunks and left the glue on the bottle. The Ken Ridge LE labels I've gotten in the past 2 years are a huge improvement... but I still wouldn't pay extra to get them... and now they have front and back labels. Just one more thing to throw away in my book.

Hey, Jim. I am happy that your experience with MM is much better than mine. I made two of the Renaissance Impressions kits (Barolo and Amarone) and I was underwhelmed by both. From your post, it does seem that they have changed the ingredients a bit. I did get bags in both and I used both the grape pack and the raisins in both wines. I guess that could be why mine was not as good as yours seems to be, but I don't see how the addition of both raisins and grapes would lead to a thinner wine. I did not get yeast nutrient in either kit.

Both wines were thin and lacking in taste but they did improve somewhat with time. I would not say they approached "excellent" at any time. In any case, they have "gone the way of all flesh" and are now just a slightly disappointing memory. I still have not purchased a MM kit since and have no plans to do so. With the great and consistent quality of RJS and Cellar Craft, for me, it is not worth the risk.

I'm with you Rocky. I think the Vinifera Noble kits are better (with some tweaking) than the higher end kits. Really a shame because they have some products that are hard to find.

I'm not sure how long ago you did them, but mine are within the past year. My first 2 kits were the RI Barolo and Amarone. I just finished primary on the Castel Del Papa and I think it'll be very nice with some added oak. I'll be starting the Merlot next.

I just pulled an ounce from the Amarone carboy (next in line to be bottled, so it's 5-6 months along). Great body, fruit forward, excellent finish with no tannins added. It could be more oaky/smokey. Definitely has that Amarone bitter going on. This could be a masterpiece if it survives 5 years. I'd say it's a very good value at the price George sells them for. Definitely competes with any other Amarone kits I've made.

CC Showcase Amarone with Super Pack - $147.59
RJS Winery Series Italian Amarone Style with dried GenUWine Grape Skins - $141.29
MM Renaissance Impressions Amarone with raisins and AllGrape Pack - $129.59

Adding Raisin pack

Jim,
or anyone who has made the RJS WS Amarone kit. When did you add the raisin pack?
Instructions do not mention them in the kit and obviously not when to add.
I assume after primary? If so, how long have you left them in?
Just received my kit the other day and hopefully will be kicking it off in another week or two.

Thanks,

Steve

I started an Amorosso (with only the raisins) a month or so ago. I am hoping it will turn out as well as Geronimos. I do wonder how much difference using only raisins instead of both raisins and the allgrape pack will make. Early on in the primary it was inky and aromatic but after clearing it is much more translucent than I thought it might be. Smells and tastes as good any green kit can, but it may not end up as full body as I thought. Time will tell.

Jim,
or anyone who has made the RJS WS Amarone kit. When did you add the raisin pack?
Just received my kit the other day and hopefully will be kicking it off in another week or two.

Thanks,

Steve

I have not done the WS, but did to the En Primeur last year. It came with skins and raisins. I used the skins in primary and the raisins in secondary. I left everything in secondary for a little over 3 weeks.

I have not done the WS, but did to the En Primeur last year. It came with skins and raisins. I used the skins in primary and the raisins in secondary. I left everything in secondary for a little over 3 weeks.

Jim,
Thanks! I may be missing the obvious, but when you say everything in secondary for three weeks that is grape pack and raisins?
If so that will be my plan as well.

Thanks

Steve

MM is running a promo with up to 20% discount on their products, so may be worth to look around.....

If the MM Impressions Amarosso is that good per Geronimo, I might be looking to get one, if I can get that 20% off then it sounds like I may be paying less than $100 for that kit. :tz

@Steve_M: Sorry, skins were in for primary only. Secondary only had raisins, and some oak.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks,

Steve

i have this one on the go and added both the skins and raisins to the primary. They were in for 6 days before i rack over to the secondary. its still sitting/clearing for 3 more days, then it will go in my back room for bulk aging

cheers

I just pulled an ounce from the Amarone carboy (next in line to be bottled, so it's 5-6 months along). Great body, fruit forward, excellent finish with no tannins added. It could be more oaky/smokey. Definitely has that Amarone bitter going on. This could be a masterpiece if it survives 5 years. I'd say it's a very good value at the price George sells them for. Definitely competes with any other Amarone kits I've made.

CC Showcase Amarone with Super Pack - $147.59
RJS Winery Series Italian Amarone Style with dried GenUWine Grape Skins - $141.29
MM Renaissance Impressions Amarone with raisins and AllGrape Pack - $129.59

Did you say you added both grape pack and supplied raisins in primary, or you added the raisins in 'secondary'?

Might be interested in the Impressions Amarone because they will apply the MM 20% coupon (I think list price is around $121).

Latest posts

Back