WineXpert Amarone Chaptalization Possible Issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderEh

Reaction score
So We are starting our first Amarone, and I fear we may have left it too long prior to adding the dextrose for the chaptalization process. The SG was at 0.993, and they say to add below 1.020. When we added the dextrose it bumped it up to 1.005. We stirred the crap out of it with an electric drill and attachment, and it did foam for a bit but I'm worried this may have been degassing.

Does anyone have an idea to make sure this extra dextrose ferments? Should I add more yeast? Or bump the heat up nice and high?

Note it was still bubbling out of the airlock a bit before we added the sugar.

You should be ok. I am doing the same kit. I added the sugar at about 1.000. It fermented just fine

But what should I expect for a final SG? Still at 0.998? Scared as I already dropped below this during the first ferment!

There's no need to be afraid. The yeast you have should be more than enough to ferment the additional sugar, and they will probably take the SG below 0.998. Just keep an eye on the SG.

I usually add the dextrose in 1/4ths over a 24 hour period (every 6 hours) so as not to "shock" the yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

It's bubbling away quite good, so I think it will be ok. Temperature is around 23 C.

Back