WineXpert Am I ready?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
My wine making experience has been one batch of VR Cabernet and one batch of Riesling. Should I do a few more batches of the VR, or the Selection International, before going to the Eclipse label?

My concern is not so much about blowing the money, but making sure I have enough skills to get everything out of the Eclipse line.

Thank you,
Chris

Sure, go for it! Just follow the directions on a few kits before you wander off on your on.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I did 2 kits before my first Eclipse - in part to get some experience before spending bigger bucks, but also to get a couple quick drinkers going before I made something that I wanted to sit.

If you can make a lower end kit, you can make a higher end kit. The only real difference I noticed was playing with the grape skins. You should be fine.

It took me 3 to 4 kits to realize all the things I was doing wrong - how to do all the rackings, degassing, bottling, etc.

Each new technique (oak, skins, f-pack, etc.) takes a kit or two to figure out your preference on dealing with them. I am still figuring out bulk aging reds and skipping the fining/clarifying agents.

My guess is that if you felt the need to start a new thread to ask you'd probably be better to get a few more low end kits under your belt. My second guess is that if you decide to go ahead and do a higher end kit you'll do just fine.

Maybe just flip a coin?
smilie.gif

There isn't a huge difference in adding the grape pack, truthfully. The most challenging part is getting the grapes out of the plastic and into the mesh bag. The best way I've found to deal with that is to put the bag in a bowl, secured to the rim. Then you can more easily pour the skins out of the plastic and into the bag. When you're done, tie a knot in the bag and you're off to the races. Oh, and if your kit calls for oak powder or chips in primary, put those in the bag too. It makes that first racking SO much easier.

Be aware that the sugars in the grape pack may take a bit to dissolve and as a result, your initial SG reading might be low. I've gotten into the habit of mixing up the kit, adding the grape pack, then stirring a few times over the next several hours before pitching the yeast. As an example, I started an Eclipse Merlot kit on Sunday. When I first mixed up the juice, SG was 1.080. After adding the grape pack and stirring, it was 1.094. Four hours later, after another stirring or two, SG was 1.100. The following morning, a cap had formed and I clearly had fermentation going on, but SG was still at 1.100. I estimate my SG peaked at 1.102 on this one.

I am sure you can do it. If you have questions you have this group as back up.

I agree with the other posts that the higher-end kits benefit from not being rushed. The 180 day profuction schedule is reasonable, plus you will want to age the eclipse kits a year to get the full benefit of their potential. That was really trying of my patience when I transitioned from the pace of 4-6 week kits that required minimal aging to something that takes a year plus.

Be warned though - once you make higher-end kits with oak and skins and larger volume of juice, you may not want to make anything else. And you may feel the urge to get more carboys so you can make five or ten at a time.... :)

Eclipse kits aren't really any more difficult than any other kit, which means not very difficult at all. The deciding factor should be whether or not you can, or plan to age them for at least a year or two. If not, you're wasting your money and would be better served with a kit that will produce more immediate results.

Back