Am I ok?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broy

Junior
Reaction score
We did our second batch of Dry Concord this fall and after 5 weeks (three in the fermentor and two in the carboy we've got a SG of 1.000 and there does not seem to be any activity. Tastes good, though. Do I need to add more sugar; should it be more active? Thanks for any help.

We did our second batch of Dry Concord this fall and after 5 weeks (three in the fermentor and two in the carboy we've got a SG of 1.000 and there does not seem to be any activity. Tastes good, though. Do I need to add more sugar; should it be more active? Thanks for any help.
No. Have you degassed yet? If not do that and you may find that the gravity will drop. What was the starting gravity? What temp is it now? If the gravity dont drop then time to stabilize.

Check a few times over the next few days to see if its still moving and try to get the tep up to around 75* to help the yeast finish. What was the starting sg and what yeast did you use? What temp is it now?

Never checked the SG at the beginning but used 2 cups of sugar for 20 lbs of grapes and 2 gal. water. It's in the basement so nowhere near 75 degrees. I'll bring it upstairs but here in Idaho in November it's hard to find a room that's 75 degrees. If degassing means removing the airlock there was no pressure and therefore no bubbling in the airlock.

2 gallons sounds like a lot of water to add - did you have to adjust your TA levels?

Do you have a hydrometer - if not - you should probably get one - adding sugar blindly is never a good idea.

With temps no where near 75 degrees - that could be why you are seeing a lack of activity. With that in mind - i would get a hydrometer and do some SG readings - don't go off the bubbles in the airlock - it could still be fermenting slowly.

Sometime it becomes the biggest confusion that what is require at that point of time and then I have to set my mind completely focus on all the steps and then I have to proceed with the work that I am doing.

But, as it is explained here then I will properly keep this in mind.

scum

I brought the carboy upstairs where it's warmer and fermentation has restarted. I've noticed a bubbly scum on the surface which didn't occur with last year's batch. Is this a bad sign?

I brought the carboy upstairs where it's warmer and fermentation has restarted. I've noticed a bubbly scum on the surface which didn't occur with last year's batch. Is this a bad sign?
Fermentation may NOT have restarted. Warmer liquids do not hold as much CO2 as colder liquids. The wine may just be releasing CO2. Check the sg to know what is actually happening.

Steve

now what

We racked the wine and the S.G. is now a bit less than 1. I'd say .997. I still hear the occasional bubble come up through the lock. There was some white scum on the surface before racking but we left this behind with the sediment. Are we still o.k.

No, we didn't this time. Is it necessary and if so can it still be added? What about peptic enzyme which we also didn't use this time? Thanks for the help-enjoyed the "Thought for the day".

If you didn't add K-meta at all then yes you need to do so in order to stop spoiling. At 0.997 I would say it's dry and you’re probably safe to add Sorbate as well. Degassing is the removal of any dissolved co2 gas from your wine produced by the yeast. This is usually done with a wine whip or a vacuum pump. As mentioned before, once you degas your wine you will notice a small drop in the sg.

I don't have any sorbate and live a long way from supplies so I'll disolve a Campden tablet and call it good. I also don't have a vacuum pump or wine whip. Is there a home remedy? Thanks again for the help.

I don't have any sorbate and live a long way from supplies so I'll disolve a Campden tablet and call it good. I also don't have a vacuum pump or wine whip. Is there a home remedy? Thanks again for the help.

K-meta in its self will not kill off the yeast, as long as you bottle your wine dry you will not need the Sorbate but if you back sweeten or add an F-PACK then you run the risk of fermentation starting back up again. Your other option is to make rocket fuel by continuing to add sugar until your yeast die off from alcohol toxicity.
as far as degassing a good vigorous stir will help rest and stir again then repeat until your arms give up.
If you have gallon jugs in the past I have added k-meta, filled the jug about 3/4 full and shook it like crazy being sure to crack the cap open to let the gas escape. I don't really advise of this because it can oxidize your wine but it will work in a pinch.

I'm not sure if I should add sugar. It does taste pretty dry right now. If I can wait a while I can pick up some supplies in a couple of weeks including the sorbate. Are you saying that if I don't sugar then I can skip both the k-meta and the sorbate? I've got about 3 or 4 gals. in a carboy. Heavy but shakable for a few seconds if that would do it.

Don't shake it just disolve your camden tablet (these are K-meta) if your not going to back sweeten you really don't need to add sorbate.

you will still need the k-meta to protect form spoilage but if you do not add sugar you don't need sorbate. before shaking, try a good stir, your trying to get all the co2 out kinda like a soda pop going flat.

Latest posts

Back