Am I doomed: Fruit Fly

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschrock

Junior
Reaction score
My first wine kit + fruit fly infestation.

I'm doing an Island Mist white cranberry pino gris, everything going great, got to step 3, added metabisuphites, sorbate, vigorously mixed, and 3 minutes later added fpack and isinglass, and a single freaking fruit fly. Am I doomed to vinegar? or will the sulphites and sorbate neutralize the bacteria from the fly?

your fine...if worried... run it all thru a screen real quick and air lock it

dont you want protein? :)

by the way, when did they start adding that to their kits? was it in a package ? :)

Clarification: the fruit fly was from MY overabundant never ending supply of death resistant zombie fruit fly "herd".

One evening I was drinking a glass of white wine - I don't remember what it was but nothing remarkable. From one sip to the next, I suddenly noticed a markedly different aroma, and the wine seemed to taste a little bit better. I looked into my glass and there was a fruit fly!
So maybe it will improve the wine?

smiley2.gif

A little protien never hurts ...LOL

UR fine.. He/She did die a nice death.. Bet it didnt feel a thing..
smiley36.gif

In the summer and early fall I have the enjoyable pass time of watching fruit flies land in my glass of wine. I leave them alone for a few minutes until they look dead. I then take a pencil and fish them out. I tap it on the desk and they fall off and stagger around. In a minute or so they fly off in a crooked path as their wings dry out. Wonder if they ever get a ticket for flying while intoxicated!?

Latest posts

Back