Always Stabilize ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kief

Junior
Reaction score
I have a 3-berry wine (blackberry, bluberry,raspberry) that I believe to be quite good in its dry state. It is ready for bottling. Is stabilizing neccessary? If so, what is the best method? This is only a 1 gal batch. Thanks ya'll------Kief

Others may diasagree, but I rarely stabilize if I'm not adding any type of sweetener-AS LONG AS THE SG IS STABLE and it has gone to dry(like under .994 or less). I don't have any problems without it as long as the sulphites are high enough. Masta is the expert here. Whatever he says to do- heed his advice.
smiley1.gif

Thanks Appleman but I am far from the expert...I just try to provide the best info I can to help.
Kief here is a post with info on why sorbate is added to dry kit wines and the same principle can be used for fruit wines as well. As appleman said many people don't use sorbate in dry wines with complete success so you ask "is it necessary ?"...NO! Will it provide extra protection...YES!

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2036

Back