Allow myself to introduce... myself

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan

Junior Maker
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Dylan. I'm from the Washington State but currently residing in Texas. I recently separated from the military and decided that I want to pursue a completely opposite career. When I discovered wine making I became instantly obsessed. I plan to attend an enology and viticulture program soon and get into the wine making business. I'm here to learn and help out if I can. I look forward to chatting with like minded individuals!

Cheers

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, a great career move, Dylan; wish I had made the same move when I was much younger. Now I am getting ready to move to wine country (Sonoma County, CA), but I am also getting ready to retire. lol That's OK, I'll still find a way to get involved with the wine industry.

My advice would be to make the effort and commitment to getting a viticulture and/or oenology degree at a great college, so you have the best possible start. In the end it will be worth the sacrifice.

Washington State should provide you with a great career in the wine industry; I'd eventually be heading back that way if I were you.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard! Glad you found us. What part of WA state are you from? Are you planning on staying in TX or moving back home? Tx is trying hard to grow grapes and make wine from them. Pierce's disease is killing them at the moment but never tell a Texan it can't be done as he will spend his last dime trying to prove you wrong! :)

Thanks everyone!

I'm originally from Port Townsend, but will be moving to Walla Walla sometime next year. The only reason I'm still in Texas is because my wife is stationed here. There's not much of a wine community here in El Paso.

Sure but why mess with a kit when you have 700 acres of Vinifera Noble planted in Deming, NM. Make wine from fresh grapes this Fall!

Dylan, first off welcome aboard. You are entering a new career at a great time. There are some states that are just realizing they can grow grapes and with the climate change others are joining. Wineries are popping up everywhere. Great move on getting your degree. Any ideas where yet. With your moving around you may even consider getting it on line (there are several good ones) and find a winery to work in. I know three differnt folks who have even gone to Australia for a harvest season and gained a wealth of knowledge. The opportunities are boundless for you.

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, a great career move, Dylan; wish I had made the same move when I was much younger. My advice would be to make the effort and commitment to getting a viticulture and/or oenology degree at a great college, so you have the best possible start. In the end it will be worth the sacrifice.

Good luck!

Hi Dylan and welcome! I agree with Robie. I had the chance to take an early retirement two years ago and thought that I would enjoy messing with a few grapes and making a little wine. I don't know much about either, but I'm having a blast! I was out working on the grapes yesterday and was thinking, gosh I wished I would have done this 10 years ago. Jump in with both feet and enjoy yourself.

Latest posts

Back