All set for my Fall line up...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the lift table Dan has..

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730-10041.html

image_24941.jpg

I like the demijohn, Steve but there are some cautions that go along with it. I definitely needed to construct a dolly for it. That makes moving it around the cellar much easier. They are only useful if you are making larger batches of wine, i.e. if you are only making 6 gallon batches, they are not the answer. They have thinner glass than carboys and require more careful handling. There would be a concern in pumping into a demijohn due to the thinness of the glass and the pressure involved (which is another reason I am looking for a transfer pump). Once you choose to fill it and it is on the floor, you are fairly we stuck with that.

On the positive side, they make bulk aging a large batch more consistent and easier to treat/adjust if necessary. They have built in UV light protection with their plastic enclosure. They hold roughly the equivalent of three 5 gallon carboys and are a less expensive alternative to three carboys. I recommend looking at L'Uva Bella in Lowellville, Ohio. Their demijohn is $59, recently up from $49, but still a good buy. Three new 5 gallon carboys would set you back at least $75.

The Demijohns also come in 25 liter size which is what I use. They are actually easier to handle than a carboy due to the thiner glass. After all my vacuum racking and clearing is done is the carboys I siphon into the demi for bulk ageing and now into the barrel for the final round. I also have the lift table for the barrel. ;)

Latest posts

Back