All Help and Input is Appreciated

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrewsbury

Reaction score
I plan on starting to dabble in wine making. I am hoping that over the years to make wine from my grapes.

I have never made wine or anything else, nor have I ever been interested. I have researched a bit online, but that is all. I am thinking that starting with a simple wine kit would be a good way to ease into it. Then maybe over the years stepping it up more and more until I am doing it from "scratch".
I want to start by using someone elses juice and wine kit, so I do not have to crush, destem, or press. I would like to start as small as possible.
The only things I think I know is that with a white I won't have the fermentation process I would with a red grape and I will need an area that is temperature controlled, maybe the basement to start?

So I would appreciate any input, comments, advice, or help.

What do I need equipment wise? where is the better places to buy what ever equipment I will need?
Who are some of the premium winekit makers? does anyone know of a good late harvest vidal blanc or vidal blanc ice wine kit?
What will a kit include? Do I have to buy the juice separate from the kit?
Am I missing something?

I really do appreciate your time and input.

Thanks!

Kits will get you going and if you do it right, make pretty good wine. I'd suggest a complete "winemaking" set-up with a bucket and carboy and hydrometer etc. You will be able to use all the stuff for a long time.

Enjoy!

I think your plan is a fine one. I s'pose it is more or less what I did, FWIW.

There are 2 different meanings to "kit" you will see referenced. You kind of allude to this above, as does DoctorCAD. When you first start, you might buy a "kit" which has a fermenting bucket, corker, siphon, hydrometer, etc. And then to make wine, you will need a "kit" which includes concentrated grape juice, yeast, some chemicals you'll need, perhaps a pack of grape skins. Obviously, you only need to buy the first one once, and the second kind over and over!! :)

Random tips:
Buy a floor corker the first time, not a "2-handled corker." You can thank me later.
Most kits make ~6 gallons of wine, and you'll need a 6-gallon glass carboy. However, the ice-wine kits usually make 3 gallons, and will need a 3-gallon glass carboy.

I cut my teeth on “Skeeter Pee”. You can find the process steps and ingredients on this site. I think it is important to know why you are doing the things you are doing, so you can apply it to when you make wine from scratch.

I'm still pretty new to home winemaking (currently on my second wine), so I've been sticking with kits since they help ease you into the entire process. There are a lot of easy recipes here for different types of fruit wines, too! If you go with a big brand name such as RJ Spagnols or Master Vintner, you'll pay a higher price but if you don't want to spend too much, you can find cheap kits on Amazon or places like Costco for $40. Although I personally haven't tried those, a lot of members on here have had good success.

As for equipment, you can find starter packs which will include pretty much all the tools you need for ~$70 to $100 depending on whats included. If your town has a home brew store, they'll have pretty much everything you need too!

Random tips:
Buy a floor corker the first time, not a "2-handled corker." You can thank me later.

I second the floor corker. That will make your life so much easier during bottling!

Wine kits instructions are sometimes confusing and in my opinion not always correct. One important thing is to disregard the time frames for fermentation and rely on your hydrometer. Don't forget to take an initial reading so you can determine your final ABV. Lastly, and I know it will be hard to do, don't bottle your wine per the instructions. You may be able to drink it but may not like it very much. If you have to bottle but a 3 or 5 gallon carboy and only bottle a portion of it and let the other age in the carboy. In following along with @sour_grapes , you can thank me later.

Wine kits instructions are sometimes confusing and in my opinion not always correct. One important thing is to disregard the time frames for fermentation and rely on your hydrometer. Don't forget to take an initial reading so you can determine your final ABV.

Couldn't agree more, especially if you're using a different yeast. Hydrometers will be your best friend and is one of the most important tools you can have!

So besides the wine making kit that has the juice and additives, I need a floor corker, bottles, corks, bucket, 6 and 3 gallon carboy(ice wine and other wine), 2-hydrometers, and a siphon?
I found this kit, http://mastervintner.com/vidal-ice-wine-cru-specialty/

The vidal blanc ice wine is $130, but that is ok.

what about this kit for the equipment?

http://mastervintner.com/master-vintner-wine-making-starter-kit/

it does not have a floor corker nor 2 hydrometers, should I just buy my stuff in pieces to get what I want?

Thanks again!!!!

Do you like ice wine?

Its extremely sugary.

Not a kit I would start with by any means. The instructions are vastly different than any other wine you will make.

http://mastervintner.com/master-vintner-wine-making-starter-kit/

it does not have a floor corker nor 2 hydrometers, should I just buy my stuff in pieces to get what I want?

Thanks again!!!!

That's the starter kit I actually bought! The only things I'd recommend upgrading are the degasser tool as that one is just a piece of string (I have one similar to this.) You can wait a few months before getting the floor corker, but you'll definitely buy two hydrometers and some sanitizer when you get the kit.

11053__73021__67835.1405534467.jpg

I don't drink wine or any alcohol too often, but when I do I like a dessert type wine, or a cider caramel vodka type drink. Should I start with a late harvest instead of the ice wine? Is the late harvest closer to an actual wine making process? I know I can do what I want but will the late harvest be a betetr place to start in yours or anyones opinion?

Looking at the hydrometers I am noticing there are more than one type. which one should I get two of?

so that kit with another hydrometer, better degasser, and some of that star san, and bottles to start? then upgrade to a floor corker with my second or third batch?

Thanks everyone!

My advice is to look at "Learn to brew.com in Moore Oklahoma". First thing to buy is a good book! "The Joy of Winemaking by Terry Gary" and "Winemaking by Stanley F Anderson and Dorothy Anderson " are two books that I use and there are others, Both are out of print, but can be bought through Amazon. Go to your local library and see what they have.

"Get an education and decide the direction you should go." Solid advice.

Back