Alexander's Sun Country Concentrates?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the varieties of Alexanders Sun Country Concentrates? I saw them on a website today and was considering using one on it's own, and one half and half with a cherry or raspberry concentrate. What kind of results did you get? How do they compare to a regular kit? (I have all the other stuff needed to make a batch from scratch)

I drink most of my wines within 18 months so something that is a little milder and less tannic to begin with would probably be good. Do these concentrates have any oak or tannin added to them, or is it straight grape juice?

I did a double batch (2 cans - 5 gallons) of the Riesling, which I sweetened. Despite over-sulfiting it, I think it came out quite well. Certainly went quick! I haven't heard the best things about the reds, but the Johannesburg Riesling was worth the relatively cheap price for me.

We use the Alexander's burgundy for blending with our concord and we also like the Pinot Noir.

My opinion is that they are a far cry from a kit. Everyone LOVED the Pinot Noir we made--we did an MLF on it and aged it on french oak and after 3 years it has some beautiful chocolate notes on it. Actually, there is a winery here in Ohio that grows Pinot Noir. They make quite a bit of old vine Pinot Noir which SHOULD be primo stuff. Their Pinot Noir PALES in comparison to the Pinot Noir we made from Alexander's!!!!

The trick is not to use the water amounts they call for in the instructions. Instead of using 2 cans for 5 gallons, use 3 cans and make 6 gallons. Less dilution creates a better result.

We made no tannin adjustments on the Pinot Noir or burgundy. They seem to be pretty balanced. That doesn't mean you can't add tannin--give the juice a little taste test and see what you think. We've had the Pinot Noir bottled for some time now and aren't getting any color plating out in the bottles---so it appears to have the right amount of tannin without any additions.

Last edited:
I had a can of Alexanders Riesling and added in at fermentation along with Apricots from my orchard.

Shows good promise.

Back