Airlock Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and am making my first batch of wine which got started off this afternoon.

I have one question that I'm hoping you can assist me with.

I have opted to use an airlock on my primary fermentation. So the question is, does the airlock require the cap at the top? I've got my water/solution in the lock and its moved so I know something's going on in the bucket...but was wondering if I'm supposed to leave the lock open on top or put the red cap in place?

This is an S-lock airlock.

Thanks for your time!
VL

If you use the S-airlock, put the red cap on it. It has vent holes in it and it keeps the fuit flies out better.

What wine are you making, let us know(we are all nosy that way).
smiley36.gif

Catchy name, bovinewines! Welcome to the forum!
smiley32.gif

Welcome bovine, alot of us use the airlock during primary and have never had a problem with it this way and I feel much safer this way cause bugs just have a way of getting into things even when we think there is not a way and putting cloth over even with an elastic band I just do not feel safe.

Welcom to the forum Bovine, You should love it here. The flok here are like family and can't wait to help out with all our questions. BTW~ I asked that same question when I frist came to this form.

For my first trick (please notice...nothing up my sleaves!) I'm doing a Riesling.

Currently the airlock is happily bubbling away which I'm taking as a very good sign! I'm getting great pleasure looking in on it...but is it ever hard to resist the temptation to take a peak at what's going on inside!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm truly looking forward to this next adventure in my life! It is a dream that's been a long time in the making.

I have a couple of other questions if I could be so bold:

1. I found out today that I have to go out of town this weekend. I started this fermentation Sunday afternoon. If I wait until this Sunday, when I get back, to do my first rack is that going to be okay?

2. Are there any good books on home winemaking? I'm currently reading "Principles and Practices of Winemaking" which is great for commercial, but I was hoping to find a couple of titles that could bring it down to a smaller, beginner level.

Thanks again for the welcome!
VL

<laughing> I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in that question! It seems like a question that's hard to find a simple yes or no answer to!

I appreciate all the input!

VL

You will be fine waiting until Sunday to rack, as for books, I have to admit I really havent read to much other than (The Wine Makers Companion) which is a good book but dont know if that is what you are looking for.

I found a great book recommened to me by Smurfe:

From Vines to Wines by Jeff Cox

Yourlocal library should have it and if not they can order it.

I too enjoyed From Vines to Wines, but it is more for a grape grower than for a kit maker. I really don't know of a book for making kit wines. Your best resource is probably here.

As to question 1, I don't see it as a problem. I am notorious for stretching timetables. With my current Amarone I pitched the yeast 7/1 and just added the clarifier 9/3. The biggest risk, IMHO, is moving too fast, not moving too slowly. Since you have an airlock on the primary, you could ferment to dryness in the primary before transferring to a secondary.

Understand that the kinds of timing variations I practice will void the warranty, but almost any booboo can be rectified by the collective wisdom and experience here.

Peter:
When you say "pitched the yeast", what do you mean? Is that the beginning of fermentation or after the first racking?

Bovine

Pitching a yeast is either the act of sprinkling the yeast onto the must like W.E. kits tell you to do or the act of re hydrating a yeast with warm water, waiting 15 minutes and adding to the must like Mosti kits have you do.

Dear Newbie -

I've read a quite a few winemaking books. The one packed with the most in-depth information was "Home Winemaking Step by Step" by Jon Iverson. But, one of the easiest reads was "The Home Winemaker's Companion" by Gene Spaziani. The nice thing about Gene's book is that it has recipes for making from concentrates, juices, and grapes.

Welcome to the forum. This group is very knowledgable and supportive. And, I wish you great successwith that Riesling. Are you using a kit or something else?

Bonnie Joy

That is the book that came with my 1st wine equipment kit and it was helpful and kept me interested and I think I read it front to back in 3 days. A good book and I still look through it from time to time for recipes.

Latest posts

Back