Airlock Contamination

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfin1

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
After reading about the subject, some authors state to change the water in the Airlock daily or add some Potassium Metabisulfate in the water to kill off any germs etc. What is the recommended procedure?

Thanks,
Sal

Hey Sal, Most people use water in the airlocks keeping them filled but I doubt very many people replace the water. With that said, the potential is there of the water being contaminated even if it is slim. Since most of us have a k-mets sanitizing solution in a pray bottle it makes it easy to just put 4-5 squirts in the airlock and have some peace of mind. Others use a cheap vodka then I believe they don't have to worry about evaporation either.

I typically use my 100 proof drinking vodka in my airlocks. Smirnoffs I say it's cheap at $14 a bottle. I recommend checking it once in a while since there is some evaporation.

I use vodka, but it does tend to evaporate quickly in the 3 piece airlocks. When used in the Italian bubbler airlocks, this is not much of a problem.

I use the K-meta solution and have never had a problem with evaporation. I just change it every couple of months.

What works for me: I drink the vodka..... after which, I don't really give a cr@p about what's in the airlock.
drinks_nologo.gif

Actually, I use K-meta solution because it's handy. I'm sure that after a while, the effectiveness of the sulfite will have dissipated and you have a solution no more effective than water. I don't bother to change the solution until I get noticeable evaporation at which time I replace all the liquid with fresh K-meta solution.

TMI :) I am not with Wade but I use the same process in the air lock

Dan Dan Dan..... tisk tisk tisk.. I pop in for a few comments and you zap me when I am gone... hahahaha I agree with what Wade has said... LOL is that better.. Geeeezzz:gb

Don't forget you have to shoot the vodka in the airlock when you bottle the wine for good luck......:D

I use clear water only. I clean it when I check my wine so 1 time a month or 2months. Be careful with 3 peaces air locker. From my experience it is very quiet what is great, but sometimes the small moving peace stuck kind of on the side. You just have to knock it and it is fine but if you won’t see it on time then there will be an air access. It happened to me few times.

Latest posts

Back