hibiscus wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello
Thanks for the tip. Read the resource that you provided and implemented the suggestion. I added it about three days ago to my 3 gallon wine and have some fermentation going on now. How long do you think it will go? Is that the only thing that I needed to add for the three gallons.?
thanks again
hello again,
One week or so later and SG dropped down to just 1.040.
fermentation really slowing down, almost to the point that its done.
Do I add more yeast?
Ron

hello
Thanks for the tip. Read the resource that you provided and implemented the suggestion. I added it about three days ago to my 3 gallon wine and have some fermentation going on now. How long do you think it will go? Is that the only thing that I needed to add for the three gallons.?
thanks again
Hello
SG did drop to 1.040 after a week and some days but that's still really high.
still fermenting but very slowly now.
any tips?
Thank u
R

any tips?
Patience, Grasshopper. Yeast does its own thing -- it doesn't care one bit what you expect, nor will it read a calendar nor use a watch. The final stage of fermentation can go quickly -- or not. Yours is "or not". ;)

I looked back through the thread -- you're fermenting under airlock. During the first part of fermentation, the yeast needs O2 for reproduction, and stirring the must daily is beneficial. Fermenting under airlock is not the best choice for wine. Beer? Yes. Wine? No.

One option is to rack into a bucket, which will stir the wine and add a bit of O2. Cover it with a towel to keep "stuff" out, and ignore it for 4 days, then check SG.

Patience, Grasshopper. Yeast does its own thing -- it doesn't care one bit what you expect, nor will it read a calendar nor use a watch. The final stage of fermentation can go quickly -- or not. Yours is "or not". ;)

I looked back through the thread -- you're fermenting under airlock. During the first part of fermentation, the yeast needs O2 for reproduction, and stirring the must daily is beneficial. Fermenting under airlock is not the best choice for wine. Beer? Yes. Wine? No.

One option is to rack into a bucket, which will stir the wine and add a bit of O2. Cover it with a towel to keep "stuff" out, and ignore it for 4 days, then check SG.
Ok
Thank you
Ron

The what else question, ,,,
Oxygen is a nutrient in the cell reproduction phase. Yeast Available Nitrogen is a nutrient. I am a fan of the organics as Fermax for starters and Fermaid O for the must and a TONSA (staggered addition) method.

The what else question, ,,,
Oxygen is a nutrient in the cell reproduction phase. Yeast Available Nitrogen is a nutrient. I am a fan of the organics as Fermax for starters and Fermaid O for the must and a TONSA (staggered addition) method.
thank you,
R

no, Im not sure what the PH is.
pH is a measure of how acidic the food is. pH acts as a preservative and prevents unwanted micro families from growing. Food poisoning organisms require above pH 4 to grow. Yeast will tolerate some acid but have a hard time growing if under pH 2.8. This is why there are canning factory rules as tomatoes are high acid and can be preserved in a 100C water bath but beans or meats are low acid so they need a pressure cooker at 130C.

I have looked at two forms of hibiscus. The flower petals from zone 5 garden plantings were pH 2.22 when I made a 1/3 tea (flowers in distilled water). The other form I have seen is the organic hibiscus tea from the food store. As a 1/10 tea with distilled this form was pH 2.65 with a measured acid of 0.36%. (how much buffering capacity)

Acid is hard on yeast. Yeast produce carbon dioxide which will turn into carbonic acid and make growth harder yet. High acids as skeeter pee or rhubarb or cranberry are hard to ferment,

Low tech is to measure the color change with pH paper. The more expensive tool is a pH meter (HS chem labs have them as well as brewing supply stores).

Back