WineXpert Air lock problem con't

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eduk8or

Reaction score
The guy that own the local brew store told me to just leave it alone and it will go down. Is that true?

When the fermentation slows it will stop pushing the wine/foam into the airlock and with an Island Mist kit this should happen at day 4-5.

How much headspace was in the bucket when you made up the kit? I am willing to bet your fermenter is 6.5 gal (sold by many of the beer guys
smiley7.gif
) and not the correct size of 7.9 gal for making wine.

I agree with Masta, you probably have a beer bucket and not a wine bucket. Just keep dumping it out if you see anything backed up in it and clean it before sticking it back in. Just don't dump it back into the bucket.

You might want to get a small spray bottle at the Dollar Store and mix up some sanitizer (Potassium or Sodium Metabisulfate) and have it on hand to spray it down before you stick it back in. Just keep it as clean as you can. Like Masta says, in a few days the foaming will subside and you will be just fine.

We all have had problems like this at one time or another and things turned out just fine. Look at the Mead forum and the Joe M's mead thread to see some foaming action.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

HPIM0720.jpg

tutorial020.jpg

Why don't you lose the air lock for a couple of days and just lay a sanitized cloth over the grommet hole.

Now theres a good idea. I always forget about that because I cant do
that with my cats in the house because they'll lay on anything thats
not on fire.

Latest posts

Back