air after botteling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sholomy

Reaction score
hi friends i just bottled my 12 cab franc but im seeing some air after corking like in this picture. need to rebottle?

cabfranc.jpg

Are you referring to the bubbles? Of course you want air but it looks like your wine might be gassy. Open one, shake it and give it the pop test.

yes the bubbles. whats the pop test? this happens when bottling, i use the all in one wine pump with care if u slow the rate down then the foaming is minimal and dissipates quickly but if flow is full force then it will foam and this happened.

Last edited:
Pull the cork. put your finger over the end of the bottle, shake it up and see if it builds pressure. pressure [pops]=gassy

yes the bubbles. whats the pop test? this happens when bottling, i use the all in one wine pump with care if u slow the rate down then the foaming is minimal and dissipates quickly but if flow is full force then it will foam and this happened.

The pop test. Put some wine in a small bottle,put your thumb over the opening and shake. While listening carefully, release your thumb.
A distinct "phhttt" or pop will be heard if the wine is gassy.
I keep a 175 bottle handy for just such occasions.

ok ill do the test assuming all is well with the test the appearances of bubbles isnt a problem?

You will be fine -
I will sometimes over fill it a bit and it will then suck out any foam - it is just agitated wine - nothing to worry - try keeping the red line open and you will see less of that - you will just be filling a bit slower thats all.

Sholomy -
How did your bottling experience go ?

Like you mentioned above - , i use the all in one wine pump with care if u slow the rate down then the foaming is minimal and dissipates quickly but if flow is full force then it will foam and this happened.

How was the rest of your experience ??

Sholomy -
How did your bottling experience go ?

Like you mentioned above - , i use the all in one wine pump with care if u slow the rate down then the foaming is minimal and dissipates quickly but if flow is full force then it will foam and this happened.

How was the rest of your experience ??

My experience so far with the wine pump has been absolutely great; this is without a doubt in my mind the single most important instrument for the home winemaker. It can rack it can bottle and it does it easily with no fuss or mess but for me the best part is i can keep my carboys on the floor and rack from the floor. With just the traditional cane this isn't possible the source carboy must be higher than the destination. Of course lifting the carboy is out of question for fear of unsettling any undesirables resting on the bottom so until now i had to build platforms for my carboys, besides the difficulty in constructing a platform and then lifting heavy carboys this is a major waste of space so again i will say this in my opinion is the single most useful instrument for the home winemaker.
Just one question Steve: i just read in the instructions when botteling the bottles should be higher than the source carboy. Why? Untill now I've bottled everything on the floor same level.

2 reasons I can think of. One is that when the level of wine in the bottle rises above the little tube that is supplying the wine to the bottle and you stop the pump or open the valve in the vacuum line, the little tube will siphon the excess wine back into the lower, supplying carboy. This allows you to have the same headspace in every bottle. And the other reason, which would also apply to racking between carboys is that having the receiving carboy or the bottle higher makes the pump pull a greater vacuum to lift the wine and that degasses the wine if it has any CO2.

Last edited:
Bottling
Before you start to bottle, make sure that the full carboy is on the floor, and that you are bottling on a surface that is above the carboy height. The reason is the same explanation that Garymc mentioned - when you press the vacuum release you stop the flow of wine and liquid will then be sucked back down to the carboy - causing the same bottling height every time.

Carboys - it does not matter - taken from the user manual

The All in One Wine Pump makes it very simple for you transfer your wine – whether
you are transferring side by side from a carboy or bucket into a carboy, or transferring
from a carboy on the floor to a carboy on an elevated counter, avoiding the need to lift a
heavy filled carboy!
The All in One can transfer from an open container such as a bucket, as long as it is
transferring into a glass carboy to withstand the vacuum pressure

Back