Ain't complainin', just askin'...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone buy Zinfandel juice from L'Uva Bella this year? I did and I am making a wine from it, but something just does not seem right with it. When I opened the bucket, it did not have the characteristic color and aroma of Zinfandel, but I used it anyway. The color is much lighter than other Zins I have made. Just wondering if anyone else had this experience. I am not complaining, the wine will be fine, but it is not a Zinfandel in the traditional sense that I know.

I plan to call L'Uva Bella on Monday and ask them if they have had similar comments from other users.

Did anyone buy Zinfandel juice from L'Uva Bella this year? I did and I am making a wine from it, but something just does not seem right with it. When I opened the bucket, it did not have the characteristic color and aroma of Zinfandel, but I used it anyway. The color is much lighter than other Zins I have made. Just wondering if anyone else had this experience. I am not complaining, the wine will be fine, but it is not a Zinfandel in the traditional sense that I know.

I plan to call L'Uva Bella on Monday and ask them if they have had similar comments from other users.

I think that is a good idea to give them a call. My Zin was from the spring, didn't get one from the fall. let me know what they say.

I got a white zinfandel. It was and still is very red in color compared to what you are use to seeing. SG was high which was anticipated since it is suppsoed to be a semi-sweet wine.

Doug, I think you may be on to something here. I looked at the bucket and saw under the heading of "Blush" there was a White Zinfandel. My bucket is clearly marked with an "X" on Zinfandel under the "Red" musts, but from what you describe, I bet I have a White Zinfandel. It is a red color and looks like it will end up a blush color, not the "almost" black that Zinfandel normally is and it does seems much sweeter than other Zins I have purchased.

Now I am disappointed and I will call them on Monday. Trouble is, I am near Columbus and they are outside of Youngstown. That is quite a haul and rather expensive. I will let everyone know what I find out.
:m:m:m:m:m

Doug, I think you may be on to something here. I looked at the bucket and saw under the heading of "Blush" there was a White Zinfandel. My bucket is clearly marked with an "X" on Zinfandel under the "Red" musts, but from what you describe, I bet I have a White Zinfandel. It is a red color and looks like it will end up a blush color, not the "almost" black that Zinfandel normally is and it does seems much sweeter than other Zins I have purchased.

Now I am disappointed and I will call them on Monday. Trouble is, I am near Columbus and they are outside of Youngstown. That is quite a haul and rather expensive. I will let everyone know what I find out.
:m:m:m:m:m

Well it does sound like this is a blush, my zin from the spring is a very dark red, actually I can't see thru the carboy. Definitely call them and tell them that it is a distance for you, maybe they will be give you credit for a spring bucket.

I talked to Ruth and Charles at L'Uva today and they were beyond nice. Charles, their wine maker, agrees that the bucket was probably White Zinfandel that was mis-marked and they were happy to replace it. They gave me a number of options to do so and I decided that I would wait until Spring 2012 when I was going to get some Chilean wines and they would replace the Zinfandel at that time with a bucket of Chilean wine. Great people to work with. :try

To coin a phrase, "All's well that ends well." Wait, I think someone else might have said that. :slp

Sounds like a happy resolution. You get a bucket of White Zin (possibly) now and a replacement in the spring. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I got a white zinfandel. It was and still is very red in color compared to what you are use to seeing. SG was high which was anticipated since it is suppsoed to be a semi-sweet wine.

I'll have to take a picture of my White Zin, it is far from blush looking in color. Hope they didn't mix/mis-mark all the White Zin and regular Zin.

Doug, you may have got my bucket and I got yours! It is hard to describe the color but the best I can come up with is it is about the color you see in the carboy when you start to rinse out the fine lees of the second fermentation of a dark red, kind of a medium to light reddish purple.

Rocky let us know how it turns out. If it's not blushy enough you can always blend in a small amount of red zin. to pinkin' it up more.

It does sound like a good deal though.

If you think about all the juice that goes thru these wineries it's amazing this doesn't happen more often. Heck sometimes I forget what I'm bottling. Gotta record everything.

Latest posts

Back