Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flafemina

Reaction score
I bottled my wine 30 days ago and now I want to empty 9 bottles into an oak barrel I recently received. Is this a good idea? Can I just pour the wine into the barrel using a funnel?

I would siphon rather than poor. Less exposure to oxygen that way.

Also, tell us more about the barrel. New, used, toasted, etc. Make sure it is super clean first!

Id never open a bottle already bottled unless I was gonna drink it!! Dont listen to me though. There are to many experts here that will give you the correct answer just wait for them before you do

Sorry WI wino, I posted before I saw your post

Old used barrel from a previous wine maker. Only used once then left to die. I filled it with water and k-meta let it sit for 2 days now I filled it with clean water and letting it sit till I decide. Maybe just use it next year? Should I leave it filled with something till I use it? I am nervous to lose any of my wine if the barrel doesn't work right. Thanks for your input.

Search for my "untoasted oak barrel" thread (can't link to it from my phone). I think I documented fairly well my endeavor to use an oak barrel my father purchased and then neglected. Last night I racked the wine I had in there out to a carboy and surrendered. Hopefully your barrel is in better shape...

EDIT - here's a link: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f74/untoasted-oak-barrel-37360/

Last edited:
Flafemina, I would urge caution in using an old barrel that you got from someone else. I would certainly let it sit more than two days with k-meta solution in it, probably more like two weeks. I would also make sure I used a strong k-meta solution (at least 3 T per gallon of water) to do it and rinse it well afterward. The up side is that you are only talking about 9 bottles. Is this a 1.75 gallon barrel or some such thing?

I only use a cork screw to aid in drinking:i
If you have an empty barrel, maybe it's time to start more wine::

Good advice from Rocky.

9 bottles? This must be a very small barrel - 6 liters. Just make sure you fill the barrel.

Yes, you can do it, but you likely will need to add some more k-meta. The barrel will deplete your free SO2 very quickly. Add it when you pour in the wine.

In that small of a barrel, the oaking will take place very quickly. I would sample the wine for proper oak about every 4 days.

Great information thank you. It's a very small barrel less than 2 gallons. So no issues pouring the wine in using a funnel. I don't have a siphon to fit.

Latest posts

Back