Aging in bottles before spoiling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burton167can

Junior
Reaction score
I have been making a variety of different brands of 10-18L kits, and following the instructions to the letter. After doing a bunch of reading on this site about aging wine everyone seems to recomend additional sulfites to help the aging/longevity of the wine. I have not added anything extra to my kits other than what was included, how long can I expect my wine to last in bottles using regular corks. I also always bottle at the end of the kit, I dont bulk age.

what kind of kit?

have you already added sulfites? if so, how long ago and how much did you add?

Did you sweeten or add an fpac? If so - i would make sure to add sorbate and k-meta.

Since you are not bulk aging - when do you plan on drinking these?

When was the last time you added in k-meta?

The Kits that are in bottles are:
En Primeur - Cab Sav 4 months in bottle
Kenridge - Shiraz 16L - 3 Months in bottle
WE Malbec (Not great I hope it gets better) 10L - 2 months
WE Luna Rosa 16L - 2 Months
Cheecky Monnkey 10L - Sangiovese Shiraz - 2 M

The kits on the go are:
Kenridge 16L Merlot, added sorbate last week or so Bottling late next week
RJ Cellar Classic (I think) 16L+Skins Red Zinfandel - Stabilize and Clear stage next week
Kenridge 16L Pinot Noir - Just Moved out of Primary

I would like to age the above kits that are being made for a while, but I dont want a off taste from additional sulfites or sorbate if I decide to drink early.

I just sort of drink the bottles whenever, I dont have a set time, but I am trying to age the 16L kits for longer than the 10L. I was trying to go for around 1 year before drinking.

I added packages of sorbate, sulfite and chitosan as the kit recomends, I am not sure of the volumes of the packets.

The higher end red kits will have much more tannins and those tannins will greatly extend the afing period meaning it will shelf much longer. Most of these red wines will most likely make it around 8 years if good corks were used and 1/2 way decent cellaring conditions are in effect. Warmer then wanted conditions will limit this time but mainly you just want stable temps. The smqaller kits will fare more around 4-6 years maybe IMO. These nubers are just estimates of coarse.

burton167can.

Don't worry, be happy (OOPS that slipped out).

I am not in the habit of adding extra K-meta to kits that I am making, although I have done it occasionally. The wine is still good after a couple of years.

Steve

For years I did not add any extra sulphite to kits and never had a problem keeping wine for a couple of years or more. Now I usually add the extra 1/4 tsp as a matter of course just as insurance - I can't detect any difference in taste.
I do often dispense with the sorbate though.
Sounds like you should be fine.

if you are following th letter of the kit law then you are fine....and expect them to age for the length that the manufacturer speaks to you about

down the road you will want to measure the sulfite level that these kits are setting you up with...if its pretty low and you would like to extend their life then more sulfite wil likely be needed...in addition to care in o2 exposure and quick and clean bottling

Instead of bottle ageing, you should consider bulk ageing in the carboy for any where from 6months to 2 years for a high end red kit.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I dont expext any of the wines to make it to the 4 year mark, so I am not going to worry about this.

I like to bottle quickly as to not tie up my 3 carboys, but in the case that I do decide to bulk age some of the kits do I use a solid bung stopper or one that contains water and will release pressure.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I dont expext any of the wines to make it to the 4 year mark, so I am not going to worry about this.

I like to bottle quickly as to not tie up my 3 carboys, but in the case that I do decide to bulk age some of the kits do I use a solid bung stopper or one that contains water and will release pressure.

one that contains water and will release pressure.

But instead of water use your k-meta solution.

As usual, lots of different answers here. Ultimately, you get to read them all and decide.

Most of the kit manufacturers recommend that you add the extra 1/4 tsp of K-meta if you plan to age beyond six months. I figure they know more than I do, so I add it. (The exception is the skins kits that really do have a lot more tannin for protection.) I personally think the fact you bottled on schedule instead of bulk-aging improves the chances that your wine will last longer. It isn't using up as much sulfites bottled as it would be under the less-secure seal of a bung.

One place I don't follow instructions is the sorbate. If you're not sweetening and you've have good sanitation, even the kit makers will admit it's not necessary. And I think it may be the cause of what some people call "kit taste." A little extra K-meta won't be detectable after bottling, but I think the sorbate is.

Jim

Latest posts

Back