Adjusting ph

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by Matty_Kay, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Matty_Kay

Matty_Kay Senior Member

Hi, I can't seem to find the calculation to lower the ph of my wine must. Currently I have 12 gallons of Zin must with a ph of 3.9. What's the calc to lower? I've tested TA and it's been inaccurate at best so figured at least get ph in order.

Thanks,

2. Smok1

Smok1 Senior Member

I just lowered the ph of my merlot and syrah yesterday, both had a ph of 4.0, i think i calculated the dose of tatrtaric acid to be 200 grams to get to 3.4, but i added a tbsp at a time and waited 30 min between doses and it only took me 4 tbsp to get to 3.6 so thats where i left it. Mine is also a 12 gallon batch approx, maybe a bit more.

3. Smok1

Smok1 Senior Member

Here i found this in winemakermag, close to the same formula i used but i ended up using less than half of what was recommended. Anyway i cant remember exactly how much this math wanted me to add but i didnt even add half of what was recommended, i wanted to be at 3.4ph but by the time i got to 3.6 my ta was already at 0.75 so i stopped there

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  4. Matty_Kay

Matty_Kay Senior Member

Awesome, very helpful. Thanks!

5. 4score

4score Member

Our experience is that you should add the acid, a little at a time until you get the desired result, then wait 24 hours and test again. There's some buffering and the new measure may be different.

stickman likes this.
  6. stickman

stickman Veteran Winemaker

I agree with @4score, formulas don't work well with pH. Many people end up overshooting their target.

7. Smok1

Smok1 Senior Member

Third that.. pgentile walked me through lowering my ph, im glad i didnt add the full dosage as it wouldve put me probly bang on where i wanted to be ph, but way over the TA range i wanted.