Adding Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefjamba

Junior
Reaction score
When adding raisins to your wine, has anyone ever noticed a difference in adding rasins straight from the box versus after boiling and "sanatizing"?

I usually don't add raisins to my wines but decided to try a recepie that called for raisins.

Some recepies call for the raisins to be boiled and sanatized and some call for them to be added straight into the wine.

The only concern I have at this point isn't the difference in tastes but the fact that the recepie specifically called for no pre boiling of the raisins. Now I know that raisins can still have the wild yeast on them from when they were grapes.

Anyone ever run into problems with not boiling the raisins before adding them to the wine?

You shouldn't need to boil them if you are properly sulfiting your must prior to fermentation. You need to wash the raisins extra well as they often have additional sulfite on them.

I usually just chop mine up a little and toss em in.

I have added them straight in but some packages of raisins are sulfited plus you don't know what's on them.

Give them at least a good washing behind the ears.

No need to boil or sanitize them. I get mine from Sams club and just toss them in after breaking them up. I dont see a need to cut them.

Latest posts

Back