WineXpert Adding packets 2,3,&4 Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slopenutz

Reaction score
I made a rookie mistake! I currently have a VR Chardonnay as well as a IM Black Rasp Merlot. Both are in secondary and getting really close to step 3.

My problem is that I didn't mark the bags with the 2,3 &4 additives. On both bags the 2&3 are identical...what is different is the #4. One bag has Isinglass and the other has Chitosan. Any idea which bag belongs to the Chard?

I am only on my fifth kit, but they have all been Winexpert. According to my records, all of my reds (3 kits) have included Chitosan while all of the whites (2) have included Isinglass. Based on this, I would presume that the bag with the Isinglass belongs with your Chardonnay, while the Chitosan bag goes with the Merlot. Though, I haven't done any Island Mist kits.

I would agree as Isinglass is a more delicate fining agent as compared to most other fining agents and Isinglass is usually used on whites.

Rewatch George's videos - he clearly speaks of whcih pack comes with whcih wine type. It'll come out great - you've got the best experts on this forum

Some of the best advice for keeping your materials seperate and organized I found on this forum.
Take a large ziploc bag and make a slit large enough to fit over the neck of the carboy. Put your packets and info into the bags and close it.
I've also seen somewhere to keep the original box your kit came in and keep all that stuff in there. My WE kit came with a peel and stick label. I stuck it onto a notecard and into the ziploc. I write the dates I did stuff and SG on it as well.

Iput my ingredients in a ziploc and then mark it with a black felt marker .

I only started doing that after i had done the same thing as you!

Good luck with your wine!
smiley1.gif

Dan

Latest posts

Back