adding flavors to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntva89

Junior
Reaction score
I have a blueberry wine that I made earlier this summer. It is done fermenting and is settling out and clearing up at the time. I have had a commercially produced wine that seemed to have a slight cinnamon taste to it. Can you add cinnamon and or other non fruit flavors to wine or will that taint it?

If you want some cinnamon flavor added- I would add a cinnamon stick to carboy for 2-4 weeks. taste regularly though because cinnamon can be strong.You can add any flavor to wine to be careful not to over do

Yeah I was thinking a cinnamon stick would be the way to go. It may seem silly but I have a blueberry pie recipe that calls for cinnamon that is awesome so I figured I might give it a go.

I actually put some Tellicherry pepper corns into a Syrah for a couple weeks. So, yeah, you can definitely do it. I've read that blueberry does well with a little oak.

I would use samples as a bench trial of different flavors. try about 375 ml of wine with measured amounts of flavor, use a cinnamon extract for this flavor, let sit for a couple of weeks and determine which is best. This is better than damaging the whole batch.

Latest posts

Back