Adding CO2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd chime in again here since I bottled my elderflower pet-nat today. Final brix/SG was 1.1/1.004, so around 11g/L residual sugar. Per the '4g/L = 1 atm' rule, that would be 2.75atm pressure - however, since it is still fermenting there will already be some dissolved CO2 in the wine. I've seen estimates from 1-2g/L dissolved CO2 at the end of fermentation; I assume mine will be near the upper end of that range. 1 vol CO2 is ~2g/L at room temperature, so that will add 1 atm/bar/vol CO2 to the total pressure. So I'm expecting 3.75 atm pressure - more than most beers, but less than champagne.

I bottled in a mixture of full size champagne bottles (750ml), 1/4 champagne bottles (187ml) and the rest in 10oz/300mL PET soda bottles. The soda bottles are helpful in that a quick squeeze will let me know how fermentation is (or is not) progressing.

Thanks for clarifying. As noted above, that level of sugar will give you a little under 2 atm pressure which is a lot less than champagne. I'm sure it will be safe for beer bottles given your experience and the guidance of beer brewing books.

Can I ever! :p I spent way too much time researching this when I was planning my 2022 sparkling wine.

From the reference I posted above (FSHN20-34/FS379: A Guide to Carbonating Beverages at Small Scale; in round numbers, 1 volume CO2 at room temp ≈1 bar ≈1 atm):

"The minimum carbonation level for people to detect is ~0.6 volumes of CO2 (McMahon, Culver, and Ross 2017). Any value lower has a flat perception and is considered noncarbonated. The absolute maximum carbonation level recommended is 8 volumes of CO2. Any higher value will lead to an unappealing bite and excessive burn to the tongue and throat. Also, at higher concentrations of CO2, the bottle becomes a safety hazard due to excessive pressure. For reference, most soft drinks, such as tonic water, are carbonated to 3–3.5 volumes of CO2. To be classified as sparkling wine, the carbonation level must reach a level greater than 2 volumes of CO2 (Bugher 2020). Traditional champagne is carbonated to approximately 4.6 volumes of CO2 but can be found as high as 6 volumes of CO2 (Moriaux et al. 2018). In the beer industry, most craft and lager-style beers are carbonated to 2.4–2.6 volumes of CO2, but this depends on the style. For example, German wheat beer has one of the highest beer carbonation levels at ~5 volumes of CO2 (Colby 2018). In comparison, British ales have some of the lowest beer carbonation levels at 1.5–2.2 volumes of CO2 (Lauriston n.d.)."

This (pdf) is a technical guide to sparkling wine production; the bottom of page 5 contains the table from which I derive the '4g/L gives 1 bar/1 atm/15psi' rule of thumb. Note that this is technically only true for 10% ABV; it varies a bit above and below that level.

Scott Labs (pdf) also has a good sparkling wine handbook, as does Enartis (pdf). Their tirage and bottling protocols are 'the same but different' - ie common themes but different in some specifics.

Jack Keller, perhaps better known for country wines, also has a good guide to making sparkling (pdf). From his guide:

"For a finished sparkling wine with 4 atmospheres of CO2 (about 58 pounds of pressure per square inch), 16.8 grams of sugar per liter are added, or 63.6 grams per U.S. gallon (318 grams per 5-gallon batch). In Champagne, the standard is 6 atmospheres of CO2 (about 88 pounds of pressure per square inch). This requires that 25.2 grams of sugar per liter be added, or 95.4 grams per U.S. gallon (477 grams per 5-gallon batch)."

And as a personal anecdote, we use the champagne level of addition at the winery where I work (25.2g/L, assuming the base wine is bone dry). For my recent home sparkling experiment, I backed off a bit from this and used 21g/L - still enough for significant pressure and bubbles. I may have been a bit overambitious here since a few of the bottles leaked, but I think the majority are OK and I'm almost 4 weeks in from bottling.
Having ya had success making a sparkling vino? Its on my 2024 radar for a dry Moscato.

Cheers!

Back