adding bentonite on day 1 ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazoo20

Junior
Reaction score
I im curious bentonite is labeled a clarifying agent. Now I did this with the 1st wine kit I used but I am wondering why would I add a clarifying agent on day 1 before fermentation even begins ? My current batch is a self recipe experiment I am using welches white grape and the fermenting seems to be going really good. I did not use bentonite on it when I 1st started it I don't understand why I would want to use a clarifying agent before anything happens ?

There are kits that have you include this in the fermenting process. Never had done a kit I can't go much further than that. The manufacturers of these kits spend a lot of time to work out the procedure for you. Adjusting a kit recipe is not suggested.

I add usually sparkolloid after fermention is complete when I rack to a carboy along with sulfite. I've never added during fermentation.

My 2 cents worth.

In my mind, bentonite is more of a 'specialty' clearing agent than a 'standard' clearing agent like chitosan, kieselsol, or isinglass. Bentonite principally gets rid of protein haze. Apparently proteins can be removed from your wine both during or after fermentation.

Bentonite also provides nucleation sites for the yeast. (sorry, I don't try to explain that one.)

Some Kit manufacturers used bentonite post fermentation as recently as 2002. I think it is used pre-fermentation for a couple of reasons...

1. encourages vigourous stirring of the must, as winemakers try to ensure that it is mixed well.

2. helps the yeast to circulate in the must

3. less bentonite is required because the action of the CO2 in the fermenting wine helps the bentonite to circulate. When used post fermentation it tends to sit on the bottom of the wine and may not do it's job fully without a lot of stirring.

4. a lot of bentonite post-fermentation results in a lot of sediment before bottling, and more chance of sediment getting into the bottle.

Warning: bentonite apparently de-activates enzymes, like pectic enzyme, so should not be used at the same time as pectic enzyme.

Steve

That's a really good answer. I too have read that Bentonite encourages vigorous yeast activity in addition to helping with clearing. I have to assume the kit makers have tried it both ways, and decided the pre-fermentation addition works best.

When used in primary it helps to settle out the heavier solids so you dont transfer them over to carboy besides what cpfan said.

I saw bentonite for sale at my LHBS. I got a small chuckle seeing it for sale as I know its used by the tons to seal fish ponds from leaking. Now I can use it in my wines!

Seal leaks in ponds --- it's also used for cat litter...gives a new meaning to the wine "Cat Pee on a Gooseberry Bush" (NZ wine)

Latest posts

Back