0.126 SG to 0.992 SG in 5 days!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know if this is common, but I was surprised by it.

1KG of sugar in 3800ml of orange juice (that had 16g/150ml sugar originally).

I'm drinking it now, it's dry and hitting pretty hard!

I am using Young's Super Wine Yeast High Alcohol + Nutrient + Pectolase + Bentonite. All made by Young's.

This is just the 1st bucket. I left the other one fermenting because it was lagging by about 0.5 ABV over this first one but I think in a few days there's a chance it might get down to 0.990 SG.

Folks, what happens after 0.990 SG? Is it impossible to go drier than that? Both my hydrometers end there.

Not common. Not uncommon.
I've hit .988 a couple times and .986 once. I use less expensive hydrometers daily (because they're on borrowed time as soon as I get them. 😆 ) For the finish my hydrometer is a very narrow range, .980-1.010, and it's easier to read, which is nice.
As far as fast ferment? You'll have fast, you'll have slow. Yeast being yeast.

I typically age at least a few months so I don’t worry about the exact final gravity. But I have seen it below 0.998 before. And my record from 1.090 to below 1.000 was three days!

I blame the room then. It's at 22°C most of the time with the odd increase to 24°C. It's March, near freezing out, but I have seen the odd fruit fly hovering around it. I think I got lucky with this one.

Quite a bit hot, but ok! I think that you'll get a better flavor around .090 (white), .010 (red), (or a bit lower).

Hearty yeast with good nutrient levels. I find most of my gallon batches run out in about 4-5 days. 6 gallons are usually between 8-12 days. @ChuckD I'd be interested to know if your record was a single gallon. So far for me anything 6 gallon has been a kit, and I've never been anywhere near that fast with the higher volumes.

Back