Add k-meta after degassing? Or after a couple racks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Do I want to add k-meta after degassing?

Or do I do it after a couple racks?

:fsh

Usually after fermentation is complete and then every 3 months or so while racking.

I'm finding that i'm getting a K-meta taste in some of my wines. Does it just need to be degassed? Or am I using k-meta too much? (every wracking)

I'm finding that i'm getting a K-meta taste in some of my wines. Does it just need to be degassed? Or am I using k-meta too much? (every wracking)

How much are you adding each time? Shouldn't be more than 1/4 tsp for 6 gallon avery 3 months....

Here's where we differ. I add 1/4 teaspoon at the time I clear. A pinch when I rack later then age. No more until I bottle if needed.

I would recommend that you get an SO2 test kit. A splash racking will help to remove SO2 (in need be).

I agree - get a test kit and test your SO2 levels - if they are a bit high - you can splash rack or let it go for a while and re-check in a few months.

Tad confused - why do we add SO2 when the wine is finished as surely the alcohol content is high enough to kill off nasties - and why do we degass, which must surely remove SO2 as well as any CO2, if we need SO2 in the wine in some way?

So when do we degass - and when do we add SO2, given that degassing will remove the SO2? :slp

So many others can answer this better than me but,,,
You degas to get rid of the CO2 smell/taste. If you pour a glass of wine you want it to be still, not full of bubbles. WE add SO2 to make sure the wine does not oxidize or get funny bacteria growing/ restart fermentation.
So, Degas after final fermentation then add a 1/4 tsp of Meta. If you are bulk aging, add a pinch or so every 3 months.

That about sums it up (above).

The k-meta acts as an anti-microbial to protect your wine. Although you are degassing (removing the excess CO2 to prevent carbonation), you still should further protect your wine by adding the k-meta.

Is the k-meta really needed at this point? Well, this is debatable. The more "Organic" people will say that (due to PH and alcohol) the wine is more or less pretected. They will say that the chance of a sealed wine becomming spoiled is minimal. Well, for the most part, they are correct. However, I rather eliminate the risk (even though it is minimal) by adding the k-meta.

As far as protection, there is always a risk. You would not, for example, leave an open bottle of wine sitting out for an extended period of time and expect it to still taste good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back