Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggiano

Junior
Reaction score
Can 100% juice (e.g., grape, cherry) be added to a cheap wine kit during primary fermentation to add flavour and compensate for expected loss due to racking? E.g., Add water to 22 litre mark (instead of 23), and add 2 litres of juice? Or, add even more juice and less water to fortify cheap kit? Front-ending the top-up process seems to make sense, but, who knows?

Can 100% juice (e.g., grape, cherry) be added to a cheap wine kit during primary fermentation to add flavour and compensate for expected loss due to racking? E.g., Add water to 22 litre mark (instead of 23), and add 2 litres of juice? Or, add even more juice and less water to fortify cheap kit? Front-ending the top-up process seems to make sense, but, who knows?

Juice can be added, many here do that when tweaking kits, especially cheap kits.

But the way I would approach it is, put your kit concentrate and 100% juice together in your fermenting bucket. Then add water to desired level or SG.

A few kit winemakers here will make the cheap kits to 5 gallons instead of six, I have done the same. This raises the SG and is not as thin of body and flavor.

Anyway you go you can add 100% juice, best to do before adding water. And it could be all juice, but I think it would take a lot of juice to thin out the concentrate to a reasonable SG.

Welcome to the forum

also as above but I would also check the acid and ph levels and see if they are in proper range. alternatively you can ferment, let wine clear and then do taste tests to see if acidity need adjustment.

Juice can be added, many here do that when tweaking kits, especially cheap kits.

But the way I would approach it is, put your kit concentrate and 100% juice together in your fermenting bucket. Then add water to desired level or SG.

A few kit winemakers here will make the cheap kits to 5 gallons instead of six, I have done the same. This raises the SG and is not as thin of body and flavor.

Anyway you go you can add 100% juice, best to do before adding water. And it could be all juice, but I think it would take a lot of juice to thin out the concentrate to a reasonable SG.

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum
Thank you. I like the 5 gal idea, but all 5 carboys I have are 6 gallons. Tonight I added 3 litres of Newman's Own 100% grape juice to a cheap shiraz kit, then added water to about the 24 litre mark. The SG came in at 1.095, up from 1.090 which seems usual for these kits.

also as above but I would also check the acid and ph levels and see if they are in proper range. alternatively you can ferment, let wine clear and then do taste tests to see if acidity need adjustment.
Checking acid and ph levels would be a great next step. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back