Acid testing kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redderthebetter

Reaction score
I am looking at the kits offered by FVW and am wondering what the difference is in the two kits that come up. One is a $6 #5400 kit and the other is #64856 $21. What is the difference here? I read the pict-tutorial by rhosted and was a bit confused at what was going on there. Can anyone help here. I have been using PH test strips but am looking to further my knowledge here.

Also, is testing suphites a nessesary thing for the average wino?

For the sulphite question I was wondering that myself. I think if you are thinking about making some serious red wines, sulphite testing might become necessary. Right now I'm using the 1 gal/1 Campden and hope that gets close enough. I asked a local wine equipment supply shop about it a while ago and they didn't know what I was talking about. Winemaking wasn't their main sales, but they've been doing it for awhile and seem to have made a lot of wine without it. If there is a cheap way to test it, I would be interested.
For your acid, I regularly use the titration kit. With this you take a measured volume of your must, add some indicator to it, then add NAOH to it until it changes color or neutralizes the acid. From the amount that was added, you can determine the acid content of your must in percent tartaric. This shouldbe around.6 to .75, depending on the wine being made and your tastes. The other kit must have litmus paper as well as the titration solution.

From personal experience, the acidometer seems easier to use than the acid titration kit. It does cost more money in the beginning and the replacement solution is also more expensive. The really big plus with the acidometer is that you can use it to determine the SO2 level in your wine by using the Iodic solution.

George, does the acidometer solution have a short shelf life? I was going to order one once but read a few articles about the same kit you sell and it stressed the solution should be replaced on a very regular basis. Do you have any information on this? Here is one of the links where I have read this.

http://brewersconnection.com/popup/Catalog/ACIDOMERTER.htm
Smurfe

Is there something to be gained in a standard amount of sulfite added using a solution of it instead of a campden tablet? I just racked another wine, added the crushed tablet (and I thought well dissolved), and half hour later watched as all the tiny pieces of tablet floated to the top. I think I'm about done with tablets for secondary racks. I can get never get them fully in solution it seems. Does the Iodic solution come separate to test for sulfites, or is there some more equipment needed?

The powder is much cheaper but just pay attention to dosage carefully.
I screwed up 8 gallons of wine not paying attention and dumped them
down the drain.
smiley19.gif

smiley19.gif
Ouch! Do you think any amount of rigorous stirring would have brought the excess sulfite out of it? I have somepotassium metabisulfite powder, not sodium. I first read it was about twice as powerful, then elsewhere I see it dosed the same. Not sure now. I think there is two thoughts on this: 1/8 tsp per gallon, or make up a solution for a known qty in a teaspoon. I imagine anything in solution would lose effectiveness eventually.

I had already waited 3 days for original yeast to work and then 2 more
for a 2nd yeast I pitched thinking that the first one was no good. I
wasnt sure in my head that the juices were still good at that point
specially having fruit in there.Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back