Acid Query

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
The acid level of the well water on my new homestead was tested at 4.9 ph.
Is it ok to use for wine as is or should I look at ways to soften.
Looking at starting my first batch here.
Thanks for any input.
Tony...

Admin: If this question should be in the beginners forum, please move.
Thanks
T...

Tony, at that acidity level I would not use that water to bathe, drink, or wash clothes without correcting. You need to know "what" acid it is. Wines do not need just an acidic solution - the yeast & the wine itself is looking for specific acids: malic, tartaric, or citric, etc - if your acid is sulfuric for example you will have a strong sulfur taste & perhaps a fermentation problem. You also need to be aware of what acid you have to purchase the proper salts to add and the proper filtration system to remove whatever solids then precipitate after treatment. At 4.9 you will probably have a pretty high TDS & chloride levels.

Last edited:
Appreciate very much your input.
The water samples were sent out to the National Testing Labs in Cleveland, Ohio.
Have actually bathed, drank and washed clothes with this water for the past year. Clothes come out clean, so do I. (LOL)
Interestingly the water tastes great as compared to the water I had in Florida which was heavily chlorinated, but had an acceptable ph..
The water is pretty much odorless. No rotten egg smell.
Yep, pretty much normal for this area (rural).
Total Dissolved solids were reported as ND "Not above the minimum detection level".
How does one find out what kind of acids that this water contains. Naturally I want the good kind.
Thanks
Tony...

Our water is slightly basic at around 7.8. We should get together and blend! LOL I would definitely look into a water treatment option. Call a pro in that you can trust in your area to see about cost and available systems. You can pick up a very accurate TDS meter from Amazon for less than $15. That will give you a number for TDS.

Thanks ib.
My first batch is to be a Welches, just to see how it comes out and it was also my first ever.
Next will a blend, and next a Peach. All 3 gallon batches.
Found a wine and beer making store in the next town over that has 5 and 6 gallon glass carboys.
Another option is to simply buy the water if the wine doesn't come up to snuff.
Initial cost of a 5 gallon carboy of water is about $14. About 6 bucks thereafter with the deposit.
Regards...

Thanks very much for that site JDC.
According to one of their PH charts I should be making beer instead of wine.
Hmmm...

I believe you water supplier has to publish a report of your water quality and breakdown of it acids. check there web site for a report or call your supplier for results.
the acids will normally be phosphoric if any is added. there will not be any of the acids required for grape or fruit wine.

Also if u can get the carboys of water from water treatment place ask them about glass

I can buy a carboy from my water place for $25 compared to $45 from the brew store

Thanks Salcoco.
I'm on a my own well.
So I am my water supplier.
The report I got back from the testing lab does not indicate type of acids.

Thank you Bobwhite.
Nice idea.
The water supplier in my area is the local grocery store.
Its certainly worth checking.
Tony...

Last edited:
back to original question. Acid level of water is not a issue for grape wines as water is not normally required. it should be okay for fruit wines as most fruit are low in acid. just make sure that any acid added is after testing not based on a recipe and add only half at first , test again then add additional if necessary. I would measure ph as well , acid addition might get buffered to point that ph does not change.

Thanks very much for this advice Salcoco.
Right now I'm buying my fruits and juice.
Someday I hope to put in an orchard.
Would "Acid Blend" be the appropriate addition?
Tony...

Tony no problem if u can find the actual distributar of the water they may have the water in glass my place has the carboys that are mountain spring water brand

BTW my well water is not the most perfect water either but still makes nice wine I do normally boil it on a fish fryer in a stainless pot first though just for good measure

Also if u can get the carboys of water from water treatment place ask them about glass

I can buy a carboy from my water place for $25 compared to $45 from the brew store

If I were worried about the water (and I can not believe that the PH is that high), I would simply visit my grocery store. I can purchase distilled water for about $1 per gallon. That $5 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.....

You know, if you have a decent pH meter, a few drops of 0.1N NaOH would bring that water right up to ~ pH 7. On the other hand if your working with fresh grapes and you have too high a Brix for your liking your water is already pretty much acidulated!

acid blend is popular for a lot o fruit wine recipes. but I would follow government guidelines given to commercial wineries. Malic acid for apple, citric acid for berry wines and tartaric for all other fruit and grapes.

Thanks guys.
Bobwhite: I like to use a simple syrup as the water gets boiled first.
The ph values came from an independent testing lab. The report was very definitive, listing values for all the nutrients and minerals.
I had been using ph test strips but I understand that they are not accurate.
Will be getting a ph meter in the coming week so that I can be more confident in the water I use, and purchase if it comes to that.
What is 0.1N NaOH, ibglowin. Is this an additive I can readily purchase.
Tony...

Sodium Hydroxide. You can purchase from most any LHBS as it is used by many winemakers to test TA, SO2 etc. If you get a decent pH meter and some NaOH in a small bottle you can add a few drops at a time (to a gallon or so) to neutralize the acid in your water and bring the pH up closer to a more neutral 7.0.

Latest posts

Back