acid blend and refridgeration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelu Liber

Reaction score
I have heard to not use acid blend in wines that will be refridgerated. Rather, malic, ascorbic, and citrus acid should be used.

Does anyone know if this is true or how it affects the wine? I am making pear wine from a recipe and it calls for acid blend.

The reason you read or heard this is due to acid blend containing a percentage of tartaric acid as one of the components. A high level of tartaric acid in wine could cause crystals of potassium bitartrate (cream of tarter) or wine diamonds to form when wine is chilled. Grapes are the only fruit that contain tartaric acid naturally so cold stabilization is used to remove them from wines that have a high level.

I have never heard or seen the use of acid blend causing any issues with fruit wines that are chilled.

I have used acid blend in all my wines and I store all my wine in an
old refrigerator turnedv all the way down which keeps the temp at a
stable 58* and I have not had any problems as of yet.

The one issue with only adding only citric acidto the mustis that it reduced substantially during fermentation. Some of the malic acid which is the dominate acid of pears will also be reduced.

I agree with Masta. Acid blend is a blend of Citric, Malic and Tartaric acid. The way to avoid the flaw in the finished grape wine is, as Masta says, to do cold stabilization. I place my carboy in a freezer at slightly above 32 degrees F for a week or two before bottling. The tartaric cyrstals fall to the bottom and reduce the risk of crystals later upon refrigeration. I also have never experienced this problem on fruit wines with the use of acid blend, but just on grape wines with the use of solely tartaric acid. Also, this is a flaw only in the sense that the crystals are visually upsetting, but there is no detectable change in taste to my senses. You just don't want to pulla bottle of white wine from the fridge and have crystals floating in your wine.

It is also important to understand the function of the type of acid in the type of wine you are making and to understand how each acid behaves in fermentation. Primary fermentation will consume most of the citric acid, about a 1/3 of the malic acid, but the tartaric acid remains stable. Tartaric acid is also a stronger acidthan malic acid. Thus, as a winemaker, it is best to test both TA and PH. A must with high TA and high PH indicates that you may have a higher concentration of the weaker acid, malic acid. In contrast, tartaric acid will increase acidity, but lower PH.If you are making a fruit wine, especially a wine that will be sweet, you want malic acid present as it adds a fruity, sour character to the wine. However, for some whites and most reds made from grapes, you want to reduce or eliminate malic acid. Therefore, you conduct an MLF fermentation to convert the malic to lactic acid, which adds complexity andsoftens the wine. But if you're making a sweet riesling or gewurztraminer, you want malic acid present to add a fruity, sour flavor that balances the sweetness . Most winemakers who use grapes to make wine hope they don't need to make any adjustment to the acidity, but if they do, they typically use solely tartaric acid, rather than acid blend. However, when making country wines (i.e., non-grape wines), acid blend is used. Because tartaric acid is the dominant acid in grapes,it is a standard practice to do cold stablization for grape wines to reduce the risk of the crystals in the wine when refrigerated. Because acid blend is used for country wines and many fruits contain acids other than predominantly tartaric (e.g., the dominant acid in the apple is malic), cold stabilization of fruit wines is typically not necessary. Edited by: dfwwino

Latest posts

Back