Acid Adjustments

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwb1963

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All. I'm trying to raise the acidity of two whites and a red wine that are bulk aging. I added tartaric acid last month to all three. Target was 7.0 g/L for the whites and 6.5 g/L for the red. I added 1/2 the amount calculated after testing. But today, a month later, the PH is the same (high) and the acidity is the same. There is also a bed of tartrate crystals in the bottom of the carboys. How can I reach target acidity levels if the tartaric I add just keeps precipitating out?

kwb1963 said:
Hi All. I'm trying to raise the acidity of two whites and a red wine that are bulk aging. I added tartaric acid last month to all three. Target was 7.0 g/L for the whites and 6.5 g/L for the red. I added 1/2 the amount calculated after testing. But today, a month later, the PH is the same (high) and the acidity is the same. There is also a bed of tartrate crystals in the bottom of the carboys. How can I reach target acidity levels if the tartaric I add just keeps precipitating out?

How does the wine taste?

All three wines taste pretty good at this point. The two whites are from Lodi, Albarino and Pinot Grigio. Excellent bouquets, but slightly round/flat taste. I was hoping increased acid would sharpen the flavor and give it the zing I'm used to with with most dry whites. The red in question is a Zin from Amador. Also dry, smells wonderful, but almost tastes sweet. This one's flavor is noticeably flat. Most of it is in a 6-1/2 gal barrel, but the 1-gal jug of left over has tartrate crystals in the bottom. I'm sure the barrel does too. Anyway, this is only my second try with actual grapes. I made mistakes with pre-fermentation acid calculations my fist try and over-acidulated several musts. I've done my homework and gotten a PH meter since then. But I was still afraid to make a pre-fermentation adjustment to these, even though they all had low acidity. Now that I'm trying to adjust them post-fermentation, it doesn't seem to be working. My basement temp ranges between 55-60 F, and the tartaric acid I've added seems to just precipitate out.

Latest posts

Back